Valve Train Clacking during startup

elkabong

I have run in to a issue with the 383 in my 84 that I can figure out. I have about 5k on the motor. When I start the motor after it has sat for a few days the valve train will clack away for a second or two. The block is a full roller and I have CompCams roller rockers, lifters and pushrods. I have adjusted the valves many times and I have already replaced the lifters once. The oil pressure is fine and I use a Melling high volume pump. I am at a loss. Are there any suggestions as to what I should further investigate.

It takes a second or two to pump the oil in the lifters, if it's only after the engine sat for a few days I'd consider this normal.

many of the crappy oil filters don,t have anti drain back, of reverse flow restriction valves, built in, its probably due to oil needing a few seconds to pressureize the block passages
FIRST check to be sure your oil levels correct!, next,if your useing a fram or other cheap oil filter ID suggest throwing it in the dumpster and getting a better quality filter and seeing if that helps

the PURE-1 or WIX tend to be decent values

look thru this link

http://people.msoe.edu/~yoderw/oilfilterstudy/oilfilterstudy.html#fram-ph8a

Last edited:
Interesting..... I do need to change the oil. I hope this is not cause by a cheap oil filter.... I have a Fram in there now.....:smash:

Interesting..... I do need to change the oil. I hope this is not cause by a cheap oil filter.... I have a Fram in there now.....:smash:

Frams are crap. The HD Fram is not too bad. Wix is the best "paper element" filter for the $$. Toyota filters all have "anti-drain back " valves.

My 383 does the same thing with a AC Delco filter - if changing to a better filter eliminates the noise please post what filter you bought....

Who has the data on oil filters. Is there anything out there suggest one is better than the other. Are there any synthetic media filters in the automotive industry. A paper filter is just what it say. ( Paper ) Any moisture in the system, and it is absorbed by the paper. Once the paper is wet, it starts falling to pieces. Lets find some data to back this up. At one time I was told Fram was synthetic media.

Who has the data on oil filters. Is there anything out there suggest one is better than the other. Are there any synthetic media filters in the automotive industry. A paper filter is just what it say. ( Paper ) Any moisture in the system, and it is absorbed by the paper. Once the paper is wet, it starts falling to pieces. Lets find some data to back this up. At one time I was told Fram was synthetic media.

I'll try and find that study. I believe the conclusion was Wix/NAPA Gold/K&N were the better choices.
I have also seen new data here:
http://www.gopurepower.com/store/listing.asp?cat=Filters
That suggests these provide more filtration with less restriction.(Read as less strain on pump/shaft/dizzy gear)
Cherry is installing one Thursday, and we will see, as he is taking the C-5 to Fun Fest at Mid America.

Here is some reading for you.

http://www.rpmoil.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14&products_id=175

I did a little reading up on the shortcuts that everyone replyed with. If I had a choice of anyones to choose I would take Kevins. Some of the filter test done with the different filters are very suspect. Focusing on filter mechanics verses verifying filter media is probably not a good thing. The reusable SS filters made of mesh are probably 100 micron at best. There would not be any repeatable efficeinty standards on this type of filter. The SS filters will definetly flow more oil because it has less restriction. To get one thing you have to give up another.

Look for filters that have synthetic media. I contacted one of my Pall Filter ( The #1 rated Industrial Filter ) reps, and he said that the automotive industry does not reveal much on the products that they make. If you can find a filter with a Beta rating of 200 or better, go with it.

Just my 2 cents worth.

I seem to have stuff figured out. At least I think I do. The first thing I did was replace the oil filter with a Moroso 22459. I checked the specs for a ACDelco and it called out a PF454 which is just too small for my taste. Hence, I selected the Moroso. The second thing I did was check valve lash. My lifters (comp cams I can't remember the number) destruction sheet called out a 1/8 to 3/4 turn after zero lash was found. I have tried various settings (1/2 turn to 5/8 turn). At 5/8 turn I noticed less lifter clacking during startup. This was done previously. Needless to say, I set the valves to 3/4 turn and whalah no more clacking during startup.

One a side note, I was running CompCams Pro Magnum roller rockers and the trunions did not last 2000 miles. What a bunch of junk. I do not think this contributed to my lifter clacking at startup. I was something I noticed when I was trying to figure out the startup issues. I replaced them with Cran Gold's and so far so good. I am going to send the Comp's in to have them rebuilt and then sell them.

I seem to have stuff figured out. At least I think I do. The first thing I did was replace the oil filter with a Moroso 22459. I checked the specs for a ACDelco and it called out a PF454 which is just too small for my taste. Hence, I selected the Moroso. The second thing I did was check valve lash. My lifters (comp cams I can't remember the number) destruction sheet called out a 1/8 to 3/4 turn after zero lash was found. I have tried various settings (1/2 turn to 5/8 turn). At 5/8 turn I noticed less lifter clacking during startup. This was done previously. Needless to say, I set the valves to 3/4 turn and whalah no more clacking during startup.

One a side note, I was running CompCams Pro Magnum roller rockers and the trunions did not last 2000 miles. What a bunch of junk. I do not think this contributed to my lifter clacking at startup. I was something I noticed when I was trying to figure out the startup issues. I replaced them with Cran Gold's and so far so good. I am going to send the Comp's in to have them rebuilt and then sell them.

Maybe you can get comp to take them bake and refund you?