Front crossover brake line on an 81

Lussier4

While changing a leaking caliper (FR) I decided to also change the flex rubber hose. Go figure I ended up messing up the hex nut on the front crossover...

Can anyone tell me if I can fit a new pre-bent crossover line on a 81 without moving out the fan shroud, lower rad hose, A/C compressor... I can't see how I can run the line on the passenger side with the it's dog leg curve at the end of the line. Any experience or tricks anyone may have come across?

Thanks

Gilles

You'll have to remove all of that unfortunately. Why not use vise grips to hold the stripped nut?

That is what I will have to do to take the steel line and flex hose apart. Not sure what will be left of the hex nut after so I figured I should try and change the front crossover.

I have ordered a line from Eckler's (P/N A9185) and was wondering if I should just bend it back a bit, try to pass it along the front passenger side then re-bend rather than taking all the other stuff (lower rad hose, A/C compressor, fan shroud) apart?

Don't know the differences between '74 and '81. On my '74, I wrapped the end of my pre-bent line to protect the threads and eased it through the gap. It's tight, but doable.

Well it's done...

I finally got on to my front brake lines. I started by changing the front left line (proportioning valve to rubber flex hose) as it was the easiest one to start with. Then I went for the front crossover. As many had suggested taping the ends before installing prevented grease and dirt to get on on/into the fittings. With the car jacked on only 15" stands, I managed to fit the line into the right locations. Around the right control arm was a bit tricky but with patience I finally succeeded. I managed without moving or taking out any the fan shroud, lower rad hose, A/C compressor. Time and patience is the trick here...:1st: