C6 X-pipe vs stock H-pipe

MYBAD79

A few weeks ago I got rid of the stock mufflers and welded two 4" diameter Magnaflow bullets in there (2.5" straight thru design with perforated tubes, no chambers). Sound was great but at 1500 rpm the interior drone was pretty annoying, it was fine with the top down but with the top up it was horrible.

Today I installed a Magnaflow X-pipe - interior noise is significantly reduced. I never thought that there was such a huge difference between H-pipe and X-pipe.... wow....

21489e30dbe9ff6.jpg

:beer:

Edit: the picture shows the stock pipe and the Magnaflow X but it's what the seller sent me....didn't take it myself....

It got rid of the drone?

I may have to weld one in my dad's 66 then

It reduced the drone, it didn't completely eliminate it. If you have an issue with this annoying drone I'd definitely recommend trying the X-pipe, it seems to smoothen out the sound quiet a bit.

if that (X) was placed closer to the header collectors , or a second (X) was installed closer to the collectors ,and you just leave the current one in place,(provided theres room) or move it to the rear slightly chances are very good that the sound cancellation aspects, or frequency would be even better,OBVIOUSLY clearance and cost issues generally prevent that from being done. theres a strong relationship between distance from the exhaust port that the (X) is located in the exhaust system and the frequency of the DRONE in the exhaust, and yes even a few inches effects the tone, but allowing the exhaust pulses to run into each other tends to cancel out some sound energy, yes the (X) being far more effective at blending the pulse energy , tends to mellow out the drone more effectively than the (H)

Last edited: