Spinner dilemma

saudivette

Clueless In Sandland
About 18 months ago, I bought a set of the straight finned spinners for my 82 - yeah, yeah, flame away but I like them.

Anyway, they were only on the car for about 6 months before I removed them and they've sat in my little shed for the last year while I've had the car in bits. I dug them out today and they're covered in bubbles/pits where the shit pot metal underneath has started to corrode. They look like complete crap now.

Does anyone know of a manufacturer who makes similar spinners in brass or steel? It's pointless buying another set if they're just going to do the same after 18 months. Failing that, I'll strip the chrome off these ones and powder coat them. Is there a quick way to strip the chrome?

I have the same spinners, hopefully mine last a little longer than that.... no idea about stripping the chrome, sandblasting should be the quickest method but it'll likely destroy the soft potmetal . Try regular sand, not aluminum oxide...

As soft as that potmetal is it'll be tough to get the chrome off without killing the metal. Maybe blast them with plastic pellets? Or walnut hulls? Take them to work and drop them in one of the vibrators they use for compressor blades?

I had a quick go last night at sanding one and the chrome comes off reasonably quick but of course, the shape of them will make it a complete PITA to sand completely. We have a sandblsater at work but like you guys said, I think it'll destroy the pot metal underneath. Tim, we have no fancy equipment like that out here. The engines are stripped and rebuilt but any work like that is sent back to RR in the UK.

Maybe I'll buy another set and hope for the best. Where did you get your's from Karsten? I assume they're all made by the same manufacturer but if yours have lasted longer it might be worthwhile buying from the same place you did.

Mine are unplated aluminum.

My_Vette_012.jp.jpg

My_Vette_023.jp.jpg

Maybe I'll buy another set and hope for the best. Where did you get your's from Karsten? I assume they're all made by the same manufacturer but if yours have lasted longer it might be worthwhile buying from the same place you did.

I got mine from Ecklers but I'm sure it's the same China junk that you have....