C3 Solid/Rubber Body Mount Height Difference

BBShark

Garage Monkey
Staff member
Does anyone know the actual difference in the height of the rubber body mounts vs. solid mounts?

Not sure about actual numbers but having eyeballed both of them, the alu ones are about half the height

The first year for rubber mounts is 1973.

For those who have installed rubber mounts: Are the rubber pieces pretty solid, like they don't compress that much when they are torqued down?

The first year for rubber mounts is 1973.

For those who have installed rubber mounts: Are the rubber pieces pretty solid, like they don't compress that much when they are torqued down?

Those rubber mounts are obviously between the cage and the frame.....

but where is the other dougnut....on top or bottom?? or both ends of the bolt/backing washer???

what is done in the #4 position??

The rubber compresses a little, the urethanes not at all. I would get some urethanes and cut them down. They're all cone shaped and there's a groove halfway so it's easy to use that as a guide to cut at the proper height.

So there is a difference in the location/height of the body mounts on the birdgage between the solid and rubber bushing years? If so anyone know what the diference is?

I used the poly's on my 71. Very little difference. I did have to adjust the steering column to better align with the coupler at the steering box but it was minimal.

So there is a difference in the location/height of the body mounts on the birdgage between the solid and rubber bushing years? If so anyone know what the diference is?

Just height, the actual cage nut tabs on the frame are taller on the pre 73 cars with the alu discs

I agree. THe #4 mount is lower on the frame as well in on the 73. I just finished setting my ride height. With the composite spring and 10" bolts, the rear sits at 29" from the floor to the fender lip. The front is a stock set up with new springs, bushings and shocks and it sits 28 3/4" high. So I end up with a 1/4" rake front to back.

This is an initial set-up which will need treaking when the car gets some mileage on it and the springs take a set. Factory height should be 1" lower. Time wil tell if I get down to that level.

Would aluminium disks on a 73 and later car be a good way to lower the body height? Or is there problems with this. I am about ready to purchase a body mount kit for my 73... It seems that this would have the potential to close some of the tire to fender gap so that it does not have to be done with lowering the suspension so much...

Would aluminium disks on a 73 and later car be a good way to lower the body height? Or is there problems with this. I am about ready to purchase a body mount kit for my 73... It seems that this would have the potential to close some of the tire to fender gap so that it does not have to be done with lowering the suspension so much...

Stay with rubber or poly for the mounts and use the springs to lower (decrease the gap from the fenders to tires):)