Temp gauge sender location options

big2bird

Charter Member, Founder Bird-Run, Cruise-In Bird-R
Would it not be a more accurate indication of engine coolant temp to move the sender from the stock location in the head, to this port adjacent to the coolant outlet in the manifold?
It just makes more sense to me, since the stock location might spike from high head temp under load, and may even pick up heat from the headers.
348ba32b662dab.jpg
348ba32b6bfa07.jpg

I think it'd be a small waste of effort to move it. All it's going to get at best is an average temp, and right there between (close to) the exhaust valves is going to be the hotter part anyhoo.

Seems like all them head temp locations are near the exhaust valves, so I would think it's fine where it is.....

I just wish I could get the square head pipe plug outta the pass side head for another temp fitting in there....but it is in there so tight, I can't do anything with it....stripps out the drive....lovely....tempted to rattle it with a air chisel for a few taps, but maybe it's safer to just do something else, hell with it....

Mine has been on the intake manifold just like your second picture. It was kind of in the way for header R&R (small blocks)and then AFR heads made you do a size change to this smaller sender. So instead of dorking around I just use the manifold on all my motors