Vortec head question

Fuelie74

I have a fresh 327 bottom end that I am wanting to run a set of vortec heads on and have a few questions. I am under the understanding that they have a problem with large amounts of lift in stock form. What modification will I need to make to run them on this engine? The parts that Comp recommends are for old style heads and I am not that up on valve train.

327 0.040 bore with flat top pistons and this cam.
http://www.compcams.com/Cam_Specs/CamDetails.aspx?csid=79&sb=2

You will probably want to keep the valve lift under .45, or you can get vortec heads already modified for more lift from say SDPC

What do I need to have done to the heads? Also I am planning on running screw in studs. and drill them for old style valve covers. Is it possible to run guides and full body roller rocker with this set up?

What do I need to have done to the heads? Also I am planning on running screw in studs. and drill them for old style valve covers. Is it possible to run guides and full body roller rocker with this set up?

The situation that limits the amount of lift with the stock heads is interference with the top of the valve guide and the bottom of the spring retainer. The top of the valve guide will need to be trimmed down in order to run more lift. This is a very easy modification and straight forward modification. I know that some people run guide plates with the engines; but with the mods involved you start to eat away at the budget rational for using a vortec to begin with. If you do go with the guide plates remember that you will need to run hardened pushrods and enlarge the current passages for the push rods in the heads. The O.E.M. rockers have a guide built into the tip that fits over both sides of the valve stem to position the rocker. If you pin the studs you could buy roller rockers that incorporate this guide. Lastly the heads do not have enough casting available to drill for conventional valve SBC covers. The easiest way to solve this is to buy an adapter. Some people like them and some do not. If you are interested in going with an adapter P.M. me as I work with a guy who just removed a set that he had on his LT4 and replaced them with the stock valve covers.:wink:

Comp Cams valve spring part number 981-16.

I'm running a cam with .482 lift and I haven't had any troubles yet, and I've ran her HARD, DAILY for the better part of the last year.

:thumbs: