What IS Techron FI cleaner???

mrvette

Phantom of the Opera
it works to pretty well smooth out my engine, so that IS it??? about a tank or so without it and the engine runs like crap....add it into a fresh tank, and in a few starts, the engine smooths out pretty good....

but 7 bux/tank is a bit steep....so what IS it??? gotta be a ten buck/gallon can I can pour a pint of X into the tank full 18 gallons and get over it....

anyone???

:fishing:

I'm not sure what it is. But i have a little story to go with it told to me by a friend who is an outboard mechanic. the story goes that there was/is a fisherman in FL who had twin Yamaha outboards with a lot of time on them and never had a carbon or ring jacking problem ever, so Yamaha wanted to inspect his motors to study them and find out why they have lasted so long,after the inspection they could not find anything out of the ordinary other than the motor was in great shape,they asked about the oil he mixed in the fuel it was Yamalube,asked about his fuel what kind and where,told them that he only used chevron in them since new. so they did a study on the fuel and found it to be the reason his motors have lasted so long. And now the fuel additive that you can buy for outboards bottled under Merc,yamaha,johnson,evenrude,is the maine ingredient in chevron's fuel,the additive is called ring free and you can but at any marina. I suppose i could get one out of my garage and list whats in it,i run Yamah's and their oil and ring free,and must say i have never had a carbon problem or ring jacking.

TTT, anyone a chemist here??

I strongly suspect that the "chemists" you'll find around here won't know much about fuel additives. I do think, however, that most could mix you just about any adult beverage you could name.:toothbrush:

Gene,

I used to deal with the Chevron guys quite a lot. Do not run the Techron more than every ten tanks. It will do more than clean off the top of your piston. It will burn one. O'Reillys sells it pretty cheap. It is some good stuff. I know that you have Chevron stations around you somewhere. It is mixed in there gas.

It ain't cheap, but it works.

It's just a mixture of Everclear & Marvel Mystery Oil, same thing we used to put in our bikes when leaded premium went away. Couple ounces of each per 5 gallons, works great. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
It's just a mixture of Everclear & Marvel Mystery Oil, same thing we used to put in our bikes when unleaded premium went away. Couple ounces of each per 5 gallons, works great. :rolleyes:

Never heard of Everclear....what is it??

so in a fill up of 15 gallons about 6 oz of each....fine....

gotta check the price of mystery oil....seen it on the shelf but never bought any, figgering it for horse liniment....:bonkers:

:bounce: Everclear??? Sheeeeiiitttt----"The Stuff That Parties Are Made Of"---The magic ingredient of trash can punch at the frat house---cheapest buzz per dollar available----190 proof ALCOHOL dude, available at any liquor store in the nation for a mere pittance---
2 glugs in the tank, 2 in the gullet, an' the motor runs jes fine!:thumbs:

(Just yanking your chain, Gene. I have no frigggin clue what Techron IIIFuel Injector Cleaner is
(But 'serious as Roebuck' we did run that mixture in our bikes, and it worked)

Last edited:
Marvel Mystery oil is horse liniment?? Never heard of Everclear? :suicide:

Absorbine Jr is horse liniment, just watered down- the real stuff will really light you up.

Marvel Oil is great for your air tools too.

:bounce: Everclear??? Sheeeeiiitttt----"The Stuff That Parties Are Made Of"---The magic ingredient of trash can punch at the frat house---cheapest buzz per dollar available----190 proof ALCOHOL dude, available at any liquor store in the nation for a mere pittance---
2 glugs in the tank, 2 in the gullet, an' the motor runs jes fine!:thumbs:

(Just yanking your chain, Gene. I have no frigggin clue what Techron IIIFuel Injector Cleaner is
(But 'serious as Roebuck' we did run that mixture in our bikes, and it worked)

So grain alky?? as opposed to denatured?? what is the diff, really except I know can't drink denatured, I can go to the liquer store and get grain and some mystery oil and go for it, I guess....

:shocking:

The site says that techron is made of poly ether amines. This is not the sort of thing that you can come by easily. I couldn't find another use for this on a quick search.

You might want to go ahead and try the MMO. Certainly a lot cheeper. You don't need to add grain alcohol as you can get 10% ethanol at many stations now. Save the everclear for your next huricane.

We have all herd the old saying of putting Moon shine,Everclear etc,in the tank,or in the battery for cold morning starts. But i have never actually met anybody that has done this,my concern would be if there is still any sugar content left in the alcohol,is there any left or is it distilled out,and if there is,is there enough % left to gum up the work's.
I have a QT of good squezz'n in the cabinet and can get more if somebody wants to try it:nuts:

Gene,

Here is the reply from my Chevron contact. He didn't offer anything else.

The active ingredient in Techron Concentrate is engineered and manufactured by Chevron. Though the Company does contract the actual bottling of the "juice" to others; it is Chevron that originally invented, made, and patented PEA (polyetheramine) fuel additive technology in the 80's. In short, Techron Concentrate is the "original", and still unbeatable fuel system treatment.

In fact, the automakers use Chevron gasoline with Techron for EPA testing, even though we do not market gasoline's in the Midwest (they haul from Louisville KY).

The truth is that if they use only a "Top Tier Gas" http://www.toptiergas.com/ it is unlikely significant deposit will build up in most engines. Chevron is a top tier gas and it does contain techron as does Texaco now that we own that brand. That said prophylactic treatment is nice depending on how often he uses unbranded or low additive gas, or if he has a sensitive engine… TC is cheap engines/repairs are not.

Since the minimum additive performance standards were first established by EPA in 1995, most gasoline marketers have actually reduced the concentration level of detergent additive in their gasoline by up to 50%. As a result, the ability of a vehicle to maintain stringent Tier 2 emission standards have been hampered, leading to engine deposits which can have a big impact on in-use emissions and driver satisfaction. TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline help drivers avoid lower quality gasoline which can leave deposits on critical engine parts, which reduces engine performance. (see site).

I need a quart of some good 'shine. I ran out.

If you realy want some i'm sure i can still get it,i have not actually purchased any 5-6 years,but i can find out :phone:

I still have quite a bit left from the last time i got some :bump:

Well what can I say....Chevron/Texaco is it for now....have to see how it goes....if it screws up, I"ll let you know.....Better Living Through Chemistry???:stirpot::stirpot::stirpot:

Been running Chevron pump gas with Techron for ions....there is a reason Arco is cheaper....:lol:

Been running Chevron pump gas with Techron for ions....there is a reason Arco is cheaper....:lol:

Yep. ARCO is alaskan crude from the pipeline, now owned by British Petroleum. Funny how that works.:smash:
I have spoke to fuel injector guys, and they say run ANYTHING but Arco. It gums up the injectors with black goo. They also say Alcohol mix eats the seals.:crap:

Here is a little more info from Chevron on Techron.

First, a little history….

When fuel injection moved downstream from the top of the intake manifold into the intake ports, the industry immediately had problems with injector fouling. What happens is that every time the engine is shut down, a droplet of fuel hanging from the injector tip evaporates, leaving behind residue that interferes with the injector pattern. Mobil, to their credit, stepped up to the challenge by increasing their detergent levels in their gasolines by almost threefold. This took care of the injector issue, but moved the deposits downstream onto the intake valves. Further research showed that certain additives could clean valves as well, but then the deposits moved downstream to the combustion chambers and piston crowns, raising compression, octane requirement, and even causing mechanical interference in the engine. The Techron system (I had the pleasure to test these additives in my Amoco days) was the first full deposit control additive system that will not only minimize all three deposits, but clean them up as well.

The other benefits of the polyetheramine (PEA) compared to competitors' polybutenamine (PBA) and other detergents are the following:

PEA's can prevent sulfate deposits that occur in fuel sending units due to high sulfur content in today's fuels. Fuel quality has not improved, and more customers are "shopping" their fuels today, so fuel standards aren't what they used to be. Plus, as Merritt said, the additive treat levels have been quite relaxed in recent years.
PEA's will work in oxygenated fuels (E-10, E-85, etc). Other additives, including PBA's, have had issues with solubility in these blends, and form gummy deposits that can plug injectors and contribute to deposits. Also, some of the ethanol and other alcohols are not as high a quality as hoped for, and also are high in sulfur and chloride content. These can form salts on fuel sending units as well, and plug filters in fuel injection systems. The PEA's handle these deposits nicely.