C5 or C6 Repair Manual

I have the C6 service manual volumes. Is that the same thing or will i be expanding my library soon?

steve

Steve, Can you take a look in Volume 3, Body and Accessories section-"Frame and Underbody" and tell me if it shows the dimensions for suspension attachment points?

I've looked but can't find such a thing. I see body dimensions across the doors and engine bay but no frame dimensions or specs like you would find for a C3. What are you specifically looking for? I can take some measurements with a tape measure if that helps....
Are you perhaps thinking of putting a C6 suspension in an older car?

I've looked but can't find such a thing. I see body dimensions across the doors and engine bay but no frame dimensions or specs like you would find for a C3. What are you specifically looking for? I can take some measurements with a tape measure if that helps....
Are you perhaps thinking of putting a C6 suspension in an older car?

Yes, I am thinking I would like to build a lightweight C3 coupe with C5/6 suspension components. But I would like to get the suspension pickup points and some other information like anti-dive angles for the front supension.

Some useless info

So I finally got around to measuring...

Tools: tape measure, carpenters square, plumb line, steel rule (straight edge), somewhat even garage floor.

Methods: The ends of two bolts on each cradle (fr / rr) were plumb-bobbed onto the floor and from there a basic grid was laid out square and referenced to the vehicle center line. An arbitrary ZY plane was chosen for X zero reference: behind the rear cradle and in front of the front cradle while the floor was vertical zero and vehicle center line was Y zero. The car was then raised one end at a time a known amount. The suspension pickup points were measured at the center of the outer most edge of all bushings or the center of the concentric circle for those that have adjusters (ala C3 rear links center adjustment). Measurements to the nearest 1/8". Non matching measurements were double checked. Axis are defined as X= longitudinal along drive line; Y= + to right side, - to left side; Z= vertical displacement from floor. The coordinates are given in inches.

Results:
Wheel base verified at 105 3/4" (factory spec 105.7).
The Front end of the car was lifted 10 7/8" as measured at the front lower bushings. Front upper arm bushings are both 1 3/4" wide. the span from outside to outside is 11 1/4". Front Lower arm bushings are both 2 1/2" wide. The span outside to outside is 16 1/4".
Front Right side suspension: front upper (-4 7/8, +19, +29 1/2), rear upper (-16, +19, +27 1/8), front lower (-1 3/4, +13 5/8, +16 1/2), rear lower (-18 1/8, +13 5/8, +15 3/4).
Front left side suspension: front upper (-4 5/8, -19 1/8, +29 3/8), rear upper (-16, -19 1/8, +27), front lower (-1 3/4, -13 5/8, +16 1/2), rear lower (-18 1/8, -13 5/8, +15 3/4).

The rear of the car was lifted 8 5/8" as measured at the rear lower bushings. Rear upper arm bushings are both 2" wide. the spand from outside to outside is 11 1/4". Rear lower are bushings are both 2 1/2" wide. The span from outside to outside is 14 7/8".
Rear Right side suspension: front upper (+16 1/8, +17 1/2, +28), rear upper (+5, +17 3/4, +29), front lower (+18 7/8, +12 3/8, +17 1/8), rear lower (+4 1/8, +12 1/4, +16 1/8).
Rear Left side suspension: front upper (+16 1/8, -17 3/4, +28), rear upper (+4 3/4, -18, +29 1/8), front lower (+18 3/4, -12 1/2, +17 1/8), rear lower (+4 1/8, -12 1/4, +16 1/8).

Discussion: I could not tell if the side to side variances were due to the floor or the vagaries of assembly line manufacturing. I did all this but then forgot to reference the axle centerline :crap::banghead::cussing:. If you need that as well, then I will try to get it done. Otherwise, i'd be tempted to let it slide until I had the time and cold beer to kill as my project is going nowhere fast. You obviously would have to use a little trig to correct for the fact that only one end of the car was in up in the air at the time of measurement. I'm only now beginning to dive into the finer points of chassis design so am not even sure if 1/8" accuracy is even meaningful. Please advise.

Keep us posted on what you come up with.

Steve

Wow, I appreciate the effort. You went above an beyond!

It will take me a while to figure this out.

Thanks