82 ECM & Wiring Harness

Dirtbuster1

As most of you know, I have more than a multitude of problems with my Crossfire engine & ECM. My small fire that toasted my TB harness, has now resulted in more problems. My AIC motors had been acting up again, but I could not pinpoint the source of the problem. I was hoping that when I finished up the wiring harness & redoing my valve covers & air breather, things would go my way. When I cranked the car up today the AIC motors did not sync up. My engine smoke out of the D/S of the car returned after letting it run a while. I decided to change the ECM again ( 5th ) and nothing responded. I pulled the ECM out towards the P/S to start troubleshooting when I noticed there was a bare wire. Looking further there are several other burnt wires. Now I have problems. I need advice on what to do concerning my fire under the hood & other hidden damage. I decided not to file an insurance claim & do the repairs myself. Now there are more problems and repair cost that were not obvious at the time.

I checked again today concerning the ECM wiring harness. There is not one available. One option is to pull the CFI, and install another intake and carb. This would probably run around 1000.00. This would be the cheap way out, but I'm worried how much this would cost me in resale value if I try and sell the car at a later time. My neck can't take much more of this.

Please help me evaluate my problems, and suggest what path I should take. I will probably give the insurance company a call tommorow, but have I repaired to much damage.

Suggestions Please!

Methinks it between you and the adjuster at this point....however, I also feel collectability on any really later shark is rather minimal compared to the fun factor....so not to be too concerned about that.....

as I said before.....I would put in a TPI or some later DPFI setup for less than 700 bux and have fun takes your time wire it up and call it a day....

putting a carb on it, gets you 14 mpg instead of 24+......4 bux/gallon....your call.....

:crap:sorry to hear of the crazy problems....there IS a reason I"m bald...so BTDT....:cussing:

Gene,

I new I could count on you for an opinion. I had not thought about another type of fuel injection, or what I might cost. Suggestion on other types please!

After looking back at all my past problems, I think that the harness had been failing for quite some time. I you look at the senerio, I have changed 5 ECM's, 2 AIC motors, O2 sensor, CTS, TPS, rebuilt TBI's, toasted my harness, toasted my headers after 2 weeks, and not to forget the motor starting to smoke. I now suspect that the ECM caused the engine to run lean, toast the headers, and possibly damaged something in the engine. A compression test did not reveal anything but somethings wrong.:rain::surrender:

More!

Lectric limited does not make that harness? You called around yet looking for a NOS one?
I would do it, but am tied up right now. Thinking how much of that crap I would have to have you ship me to make a new one and bench test the system.
Gene, what do you think. All the sensors, ecm, and all the actuators?

Jeff,

I called Lectric Limited today and they wouldn't even consider repairing it. I checked everyone elses websites. Maybe TT has his still laying around. I know that he offered me the TB harness, but I don't know if he has a ECM harnesss. I saw one on Ebay the other night and thought about buying it. It is now gone. What is the possibility of any other damage to other harnesses that tie into the ECM harness. I know that the speed sensor ties in there somewhere. How do you determine on where to stop looking for other damage?

Thanks for the thought of taking on the task Jeff.

Jeff,

I called Lectric Limited today and they wouldn't even consider repairing it. I checked everyone elses websites. Maybe TT has his still laying around. I know that he offered me the TB harness, but I don't know if he has a ECM harnesss. I saw one on Ebay the other night and thought about buying it. It is now gone. What is the possibility of any other damage to other harnesses that tie into the ECM harness. I know that the speed sensor ties in there somewhere. How do you determine on where to stop looking for other damage?

Thanks for the thought of taking on the task Jeff.

PM Marck and see if he has the whole deal.
As for other damage, anything is possible. If you lived out here, I could spend the day checking all parameters and test points. Pretty tough to do over the net. Hard enough in person.

Lectric limited does not make that harness? You called around yet looking for a NOS one?
I would do it, but am tied up right now. Thinking how much of that crap I would have to have you ship me to make a new one and bench test the system.
Gene, what do you think. All the sensors, ecm, and all the actuators?

Do you have any decent U pull it type yards near you??? can you get wiring harness parts, and other crap??

I have a complete TPI setup except throttle body you can get off ebay for say a '87 vette or close.....make sure i'ts complete with bottom plate where the IAmotor goes and the top place saying TPI on it....both are necessary .....

the IAmotors should be the same as what you have now...as I recall, anyway....

the mechanicals are cheap, it's a stock unit, not hotrod...bolt on for you....

I think you will need a new knock sensor, I have many 1227730 computers all checked out and running....I have a extra chip, but the cal is off on it, but it will run the car......

the aircleaner I have also,....K/N for on the oval snout....used, but fine....

I NOT sure how this all lines up with a '82 hood inside I hear it wont fit and hit something...but I UNDERSTAND it can be made to work.....

the computer will still do the tranny lockup just fine....the tranny throttle cable should be fine....I hope, if not another one from a junkyard....

the exsiting harness can be used for wire source and everything rerouted or replaced as necessary with the new install....ONE THING TO DO, and that is check fuses for correct rating....and don't ask how I know that because I had a wire break and it arced and caused the computer to blow on account of I forgot and left a 30 amp fuse in there where a 7 amp should have been....I used it for test and forgot....this to the FI computer....fried that fucker but GOOD damnit....

the computer ends can be matched up with the wiring diagram copy I can send along.....'01 F body V8

knock sensor needs changed to '91 F body....

that's all I can think of right away....

:gurney::drink:

Gene,

I also thought about hood clearance on other injector types. I need to check around to see what the options are on that. I found a ECM harness for a 84 Vette on Ebay. Will that work ok. I know the ECM will work.

I might know where I could by an LT1 engine off of a friend. I could probably get motor, transmission, ECM & harness. Alot of work, but it would haul ass.

LT1 is a good engine, but that optispark is a PIA in a vette, to lo to the ground, water get in and short life span....I understand there is a later model with some vacuum hose on it to help that, and taking it off for a good seal up with RTV also helps, so I hear....
they work fine in trucks and larger cars....so must not be anything inherent....

I not a fan of the 700 tranny, much prefer the 200 4r, I have had both in my '72 vert here....with my 336 rear the 200 is a better match up, and it's smaller and lighter, and requires no mods to fit, and the 700 you are getting if it's from a vette will require another tail housing...

Gene,

I meant to say LS1 engine. I have been searching the net today in search of something to replace or update the CFI configuration. I have talked with Holley and Edelbrock, & they say thing have nothing to fit under a stock 82 hood. Probably the cheapest way out in TPI is a company that someone suggested to me. The unit will clear the hood on a stock 82. Price at 1950.00is not cheap, but a bargain compared to other systems. Here is a shortcut.

http://www.firstfuelinjection.com/gallery.htm

It looks pretty good and is very reasonable. Everyone help give me some feedback.

Are there any aftermarket ECM's that I could install with a different wiring harnesses to get my CFI back up & running with the stock TB hardware.

Just a thought.

I also would like a little more info on which TPI units will work. From what I have read on the 3rd gen site, there are a lot of problems with the TPIS minirams. Lots of warnings to stay away from them.

Are there any aftermarket ECM's that I could install with a different wiring harnesses to get my CFI back up & running with the stock TB hardware.

Just a thought.

I also would like a little more info on which TPI units will work. From what I have read on the 3rd gen site, there are a lot of problems with the TPIS minirams. Lots of warnings to stay away from them.

UH....not aware of anything on the miniram except super high price, which is why I used a LT1 intake on my L98 cammed up engine....

it works well....nuff said....and I feel rather happy that it fit and works good on the very first install, no leaks, just set there happy and RUNS good...

:banghead:

the link you posted just looks like a tpi that's been cleaned up. If I were to go that route then I'd go to the junk yard, there's plenty of old camaro's out there with 305s that would work just fine. A while ago I talked to massflowefi.com and they said they'd be able to fit something under the hood of an 82 vette. If you need the wiring and all that, that could be tough to get unless you find a doner. I'm thinking about going from modded xfire to supercharged carb on my 82, so you might be in luck! Might want to look into painless wiring. I'm planning on rewiring my car before anything else.