Cracked rocker ball??

big2bird

Charter Member, Founder Bird-Run, Cruise-In Bird-R
Anybody ever seen this?? BBC rocker ball with a crack/score right thru the radius. Look at 6 o'clock position.:crap:

348b4c978ab6a3.jpg

348b4c979203f5.jpg

wow.... one would think the rocker arm is weaker than the ball..... look at the material thickness.... just wow....

There could be a huge temperature differential between the ball surface and the other end of the ball (where the nut is).... the thin rocker arm could possibly be heated more evenly by the friction between ball and rocker ... just a thought.....

I'd replace all 16 incl the rocker arms no matter how good the other 15 look...and no, I've never seen this before....

the photo is not the best: is the any discolorization ?? Blue spots ???

not uncommon, just replace it. There's a god amount of load on those so they will fail eventually. Would be a lot worse if it were galled and/or blue.

U sure the oiling is adequate??? someone not happy as it looks blued in the top pix, at minimum I would replace the pushrod, rocker, and ball and watch the obvious oiling....I bet that pushrod hotter'n hell on the tip also....

:search::shocking:

those rocker balls do that all to frequently if you don,t keep them bathed in oil and far more often if the spring pressures exceed the stock pressures, or youve increased the cam lift. naturally ROLLER ROCKERS are the cure but if you can,t afford that at the moment GROUVED rocker balls tend to have more oil flow
cca-1401b-16_w.jpg
comp cams sells cheap replacements and SUMMIT RACING SELLS THEM

I bought a stock set of Melling balls. They are grooved. $24.00 for 16.

those rocker balls do that all to frequently if you don,t keep them bathed in oil .....

I checked all the old lifters and pushrods, and they seem fine. Funny thing. This is the rocker right beneath the oil filler cap.:lol:

those rocker balls do that all to frequently if you don,t keep them bathed in oil .....

I checked all the old lifters and pushrods, and they seem fine. Funny thing. This is the rocker right beneath the oil filler cap.:lol:

UHHH....oil filter cap in a stock VC is right between a valve pair.....

not above any valve

there is a drip rail on the cover with a tab sticking down that catches oiling at high rpms' and drips onto that ball.....

:crutches::crutches:the way it was explained to me years ago lucy....

:chinese:

UHHH....oil filter cap in a stock VC is right between a valve pair.....

not above any valve

there is a drip rail on the cover with a tab sticking down that catches oiling at high rpms' and drips onto that ball.....

:crutches::crutches:the way it was explained to me years ago lucy....

:chinese:

Okay, directly adjacent. And NO drippers on the lid.