Need pics of cowl area (under hood) for long hood sawp

chevy69

I am swapping my '69 Coupe's short hood and wiper door assembly for a long hood from a '73-74 model. I have the hood already (it's a cowl induction hood from a '74).

I am trying to figure out what the old wiper door area will look like after I'm done with the swap, and need some pictures of what a '73 and up looks like with the hood open (in the cowl area). Is there any kind of screening or any sort of cover over part of this area?

Thanks, Tom

There are no screens or covers over this area,just the screen at each end to keep litter out of the vents.
But you can purchase a cover for this area,where the only thing you see is the wiper blades. Mid America,Corvette America,and i'm sure other vendors have them.

There are no screens or covers over this area,just the screen at each end to keep litter out of the vents.
But you can purchase a cover for this area,where the only thing you see is the wiper blades. Mid America,Corvette America,and i'm sure other vendors have them.

cool - thanks. I'm assuming they still function this the cover on? I'll check out Mid America :beer:

cool - thanks. I'm assuming they still function this the cover on? I'll check out Mid America :beer:

Yes the wipers will still function normally :1st:

You can easily clean up the area by scraping off the old crud and resealing it with new sealant and spraying it with a nice finish.

Here's a picture of the wiper trough cover. Most of the Vette supply houses carry them and they are around $45-50. I attached with double-sided trim tape.

IMG_1324.jpg

IMG_1322.jpg

Last edited:
You can easily clean up the area by scraping off the old crud and resealing it with new sealant and spraying it with a nice finish.

Thanks TT - I have done this as I am prepping the car for the paint shop. However, my thought was that the area still looked a little "unfinished"

Luster - thanks for the pics - exactly the type of thing I was looking for.

Thanks, Tom

Now I don't know crap about this, but when CaScotty put his long L-88 type hood on, they sold him some corner pieces you splice in to tie the fender,cowl,wiper area together. Looks very factory this way.

Now I don't know crap about this, but when CaScotty put his long L-88 type hood on, they sold him some corner pieces you splice in to tie the fender,cowl,wiper area together. Looks very factory this way.

My paint/body guy is going to blend the edges of the hood and tops of the fenders together. He said it will look like in came from the factory that way. :thumbs:

I have an off topic question here. In the above pic in front of the drivers wiper where the wiper arm and link connect a tranny i guess you could call it,any way there is a steel plate mounted to the fire wall with 4 bolts one in each corner and 2 rivets one on each side,what the heck is it :confused2: i pulled mine off the other day to clean and repaint exspecting to find a hole behind it,and nothing but the firewall was there :confused2::confused2: so what the heck is that :noob:

I have an off topic question here. In the above pic in front of the drivers wiper where the wiper arm and link connect a tranny i guess you could call it,any way there is a steel plate mounted to the fire wall with 4 bolts one in each corner and 2 rivets one on each side,what the heck is it :confused2: i pulled mine off the other day to clean and repaint exspecting to find a hole behind it,and nothing but the firewall was there :confused2::confused2: so what the heck is that :noob:

According to my AIM, that is a reinforcing plate to hold the brake pedal housing to the firewall. Those four bolts go into the housing on the other side of the firewall.