Crossfire help

sr84

I am switching to a carb on a new motor and would like to clean up the engine bay. Since i am disconecting everything related to the FI (tps, cts, spark knock, ect. can i cut these wires out of the harness? Is the computer useless now that i have switched to carb?

I would go to the engine ECM harness and unplug the parts that you want need. There is 4 connectors at the firewall that you can unplug. This will always allow you to use them again if needed.

I am switching to a carb on a new motor and would like to clean up the engine bay. Since i am disconecting everything related to the FI (tps, cts, spark knock, ect. can i cut these wires out of the harness? Is the computer useless now that i have switched to carb?

I would not untill you have it dialed in. You will also need to switch to a pre-1980 HEI, and change the tranny lock-up wiring. You will also not get the A/C compressor on/RPM boost, and probably something else I forgot.:crap:

I would not untill you have it dialed in. You will also need to switch to a pre-1980 HEI, and change the tranny lock-up wiring. You will also not get the A/C compressor on/RPM boost, and probably something else I forgot.

I have the hei whitch is why i was thinking the computer is useless because it will not be controlling fuel or timming. A/C is gone, would also like to take that wiring out.

I would go to the engine ECM harness and unplug the parts that you want need. There is 4 connectors at the firewall that you can unplug. This will always allow you to use them again if needed.

There is one plug on the engine bay side of the fire wall and it looks to be to the a/c. On the interior side i see two plugs going into the ecm and some more that plug into the two harnesses going to the ecm. That would be great if i could just unplug them, i realy dont want to cut anything if i don't have to.
Thanks for the imput

Follow your TB wiring back to the firewall. On my 82 it is located just right & above the AC Box. You might have to remove a cover to gain access to the plugs. You can then remove all of the TB, CTS, Air Pump, & TPS wiring from under the hood. The ECM will then not control any of the TB related items.

Trying to recall a '82 that was done to before I worked on the car....and the harness was cut clean at the firewall, thing is that also included some gauges and other essential wiring, so watch what you cut, and you find that bundle rather thick.....

honestly, I think to do a TPI and keep the fuel economy and tranny lock up, and fuel economy....that way you can keep the vast majority of wiring, as the TPI is a batch fire system....so just swap the computer and rework the harness as necessary.....

:smash::thumbs:

mrvette, Thanks for info. I alredy have every thing for carb swap no FI. The car will
be mainly tracked..

Dirtbuster, I think i already found the plugs you are talking about. I ran out of time this past weekend to finish chasing down the rest of the wires and now I have a hurricane headed twards my town so i have no clue when i can finish.

Last edited:
Why not just buy an 81 vette, they have carbs and they look cool, all curvy and stuff. Keep the 84 a crossfire. With all these 84 vettes with carbs and TPI and whatever else they can stuff in there the 84 vettes with crossfire are becoming a rare bread. Rare = $$$$$$$$$. Second thought put the carb on now my 84 is worth another $40 more.:)

Dirt, the car cost me $2000 and has been updated with late C4 body parts and the inside is not the best. TO put it back to the way it came in 84 would cost to much and it is not worth it to me. I bought this car to have fun on the track and some street duty. If it was in better condition I would leave the crossfire on it.