Squeaky speedo cable?

kwplot34

Heart Attack
I noticed yesterday after some high speed driving that my speedo cable is making some noise and the needle is bouncing :push:
I'm looking for the adapter that fits on to the cable housing at the tranny so you can grease it. Anybody know where to get one,or have one they would loan out :D.
Would like to lube it before the cable breaks,if push comes to shove i can always pull the cable out of the housing and lube it that way,nasty dirty job though.

Greasing the cable MAY help, but in my experiences, i'ts not that, it's the speedo head itself.....if you find that is the case I can help you through the rebuild....easy really....

I don't use grease anyway, on the cable..just a shot of WD40 and it's fine....

assuming some part has not already failed....you maybe want to look at the cruise if you have one.....having DPFI on mine, I went electronic cruise years ago....none of that old junk outta the 70's....

:trumpet:

No DPFI,no cruise. And Gene you know that WD-40 is only a short term lubricant,and is not the proper way to lube a rotating assy. All i need is a little grease on the cable and all will be fine again.

No DPFI,no cruise. And Gene you know that WD-40 is only a short term lubricant,and is not the proper way to lube a rotating assy. All i need is a little grease on the cable and all will be fine again.

YEH, so I hear, but in fact it's worked for years for me...all it does is free up some of any dried out lube in there already...give it a dap of thin oil, like ATF from the squirt can then....same diff......I always try to get the entire cable outta there to inspect it anyway...just to be sure some wires haven't come outta the bundle and set there grinding up the shroud...then it IS a PIA....

btw, when redoing my tranny from a muncie to eventually this 200 4r, I just rerouted the speedo cable under the rug, which simplified hell out of the run, and then tapped it into the side of the tunnel and into the tranny straight shot...made it about 1/2 the length too...SO much easier....

:crutches:GOD I"m lazy.....

:yahoo:

Kevin,

For 10.00 you can replace the cable. Why go through all of the work to have more problems. Gene also offered to help me with mine. I'm just to lazy to pull it out.

Gene can put on a speedo rebuild when we have our East Coast gathering. Start saving up money for the drive to Florida. The clinic will be free.:lol::lol:

Kevin,

For 10.00 you can replace the cable. Why go through all of the work to have more problems. Gene also offered to help me with mine. I'm just to lazy to pull it out.

Gene can put on a speedo rebuild when we have our East Coast gathering. Start saving up money for the drive to Florida. The clinic will be free.:lol::lol:

Free except for $1200 dollar fuel bill round trip :twitch:
I don't think there is any problem with the speed head itself,just a dry cable that needs a little grease. there use to be an adapter you screw on to the cable at the tranny end and you caould put some grease in them, i use to have one a long time ago when i turned wrenches for a living,but i have no idea where it is at now,probably somebody borrowed it and never returned it :cussing:
I understand the cables are inexspensive,but the grease is even cheaper. if i can't find one i will just pull the cable out of the housing and clean it and lube it and put it back in.