82 crossfire

Toms82

Hi,
I completed the 85 fuel pump upgrade and the required fuel regulator rebuild early this summer. The car never ran better and I was more than pleased. Went to the gas station last night to fuel up and the car wouldn't start, no spray to the injectors. How on earth would getting fuel shut the car down? I can hear the relay pull in for prime, so I don't think it is ECM related. Where do I start to try and solve this?
Thank you,
Tom

Hi,
I completed the 85 fuel pump upgrade and the required fuel regulator rebuild early this summer. The car never ran better and I was more than pleased. Went to the gas station last night to fuel up and the car wouldn't start, no spray to the injectors. How on earth would getting fuel shut the car down? I can hear the relay pull in for prime, so I don't think it is ECM related. Where do I start to try and solve this?
Thank you,
Tom

Do you have a noid light? Install one, and turn on for prime. See if it lights. Sounds like the relay is bad, or the circuit feeding the relay contacts is dead.Check all the fuses for power.

If you turn the ign. on, not only will the relay prime the pump but the injector should also fire a short burst (when engine is cold!) if it doesn't do that, check the 2 fuses and measure for power at the connectors. If there is none, you have a bad ECM (injector driver) most likely.

Hi big2bird.
Thanks for the reply. Could you tell me what a noid light is? I assume it's a test light of some kind, is it a specific type?
Tom

Hi big2bird.
Thanks for the reply. Could you tell me what a noid light is? I assume it's a test light of some kind, is it a specific type?
Tom

348b1901e1f443.jpg

Just go to the Zone or wherever, and tell them you want one of these for a GM throttle body. Unplug an injector, plug this on, have the wife turn the key, and see if you get the start up pulse that Marck mentioned. About $3.00

OK, now I'm really confused. I had the car towed home last night after trying to start it at least 20 times. I just went down to the garage to see if it would start and the stupid car started right up. Could this be some kind of vapor lock? Or would it still be some kind of intermittent elctrical problem?
This car makes me:beer:
Thanks,
Tom

OK, now I'm really confused. I had the car towed home last night after trying to start it at least 20 times. I just went down to the garage to see if it would start and the stupid car started right up. Could this be some kind of vapor lock? Or would it still be some kind of intermittent elctrical problem?
This car makes me:beer:
Thanks,
Tom

Mine has done this more than once. For some reason if I kick the orange box that plugs into the fuse panel, mine want crank. If I wiggle it she will fire right off. These CFI are more than sensitive. More like a PITA.

I was also asking myself what a noid light was before I got this far down the thread.

A NOID light is the first test tool on the way to being a NERD, then you graduate to GEEK.....

so learn to use your light first, NOID, then you can buy a DVM and we show you you to reed it, then be a apprentice NERD.....:bump::bump:

but serious, you need find some bad connections, or bad Fpump relay or maybe even wiring to the fuel pump....

when you turn on the key after a minit or so....without cranking...do you hear the pump take off.....it does for a second or two ona DPFI and I"d imagine a TBI also...to build up pressure in the line, before firing off the injectors....

so if that not happening THEN, the pump is not working...I listen for a slight whirring sound when key is first on....that tells me pump should be ok, and so should pressure....

so IF that is happening, you need see if the thing is sparking....if no spark there is NO pulses to the injectors....the dizzy tells the computer the engine is happy enough to fire fuel....no output from the dizzy, and there is NO injector firing....

Hi,
Thanks for your replies. Dirtbuster1, I looked at my fuse panel, but did not see an orange box attached. How big is this device? Does it look original, or do you think it was added on (like an anti theft device)? mrvette, I think you are right, I need to look for some wiring issue that's causing this problem.
Thanks,
Tom

Hi,
Thanks for your replies. Dirtbuster1, I looked at my fuse panel, but did not see an orange box attached. How big is this device? Does it look original, or do you think it was added on (like an anti theft device)? mrvette, I think you are right, I need to look for some wiring issue that's causing this problem.
Thanks,
Tom

I sorry it is a black thin box with a orange wire that plugs into it. You also commented that you installed a new fuel pump. Is it possible that the ground wire on it might be loose. I noticed this on mine while reinstalling my fuel pump.

A guy in my club had the same issue, when he was showing me his car. It rurned out to be a melted wire connection in the back of the wiring harness. It could also be just a loose connection in the back of the fuse box. Not an easy thing to find, unless you are a very small person, or have a rubber backbone.:sweat:

Hi,
After many frustrating attempts to solve my starting issue:cussing:, I gave up and sent my 82 off to my mechanic. He discovered a bad connection on the fuel pump ground wire in the fuel tank. I'm just posting my results in case it will be of use to you crossfire owners.
Thanks for your help,
Tom

Always good to hear the end story. Simple fix, just takes a few Hail-Mary's to find it -like always........