homemade spreader bar

MYBAD79

Better and cheaper.... $40 in material and some quality time in the garage....

I finally installed it today:

Unfortunately I didn't pay attention and the holes ended up too low. I did not want to install the brackets upside down so I decided to take a file and open up the holes.... I am now the living proof that it is POSSIBLE to create a square hole with a round file LOL

I cleaned the hole up before I installed it :)

2148b0b1ed6d2cf.jpg

2148b0b1ee137be.jpg

2148b0b1eeaca84.jpg

The parts are available from Summit,Jegs,Speedwaymotors,Ebay

The threaded tube is 18" long, the rod ends are steel and have 5/8" threads LH and RH and the hole is for a 1/2" bolt.

The brackets are 1/8" angle bar from the local hardware store.

Last edited:
Looks great! I know TT end Vtwin made their own too, but they are in the US of A the next few weeks. Perhaps you could make me one?

Cherry,
the clearance to the power steering pulley is scary... not much at all... I expect it to improve with the new pump and brackets (my bracket is bent, the pulley is not in line with the crank).... I'm surprised it hasn't failed yet...
With my R&P conversion I'll install the newer style pump with "correct allign" brackets.

Worship79,
I could get the threaded tube and the rod ends for you but the brackets are better made to fit your car, it's a tight fit...Marck is not visiting Florida so he can't take it home. 18" long tube won't fit in a flat rate box so you'll be looking at at least $50 for shipping..... you better get metric rod ends and tube in Europe, metric will work just as good as the imperial stuff. M16 rod ends should be very common , not ??
:thumbs:

Halim,

I have all the materials needed to fabricate another one. exactly like I did V-Twins (I don't have a spreader bar), that is using 5/8 unf rod ends not metrics (the thread is coarser and fine threads are a pita to find) so if you don't need it right away.

There's a letter in the box with the wiring harness, more details in there.

I'll glady take you up on your offer Marck!

Don't need it right away: pressed for time anyway since I just became a father! :yahoo: :trumpet: :bounce:

I'll glady take you up on your offer Marck!

Don't need it right away: pressed for time anyway since I just became a father! :yahoo: :trumpet: :bounce:

WELL, congrats to the bunch of you, have fun, is it brand X or brand Y???

at any rate, grow a mustache so you can drag it over them little feet and see the reaction....it's funny to watch....

:twitch::thumbs:

Thanks! It's a boy and he was born on th 22nd of August at 11:14 in the morning. We named him "Thijs Rachid" after his late grandfater and my late younger brother. Mother and son are doing very well, the whole labour (? insufficient vocabulary, lol!) went great actually. :) Little tired now, but he sleeps a steady 3 ours after being fed, so we're managing pretty okay at the moment. I'll chime in more regularly in a few weeks ;)

Better and cheaper.... $40 in material and some quality time in the garage....

I finally installed it today:

Unfortunately I didn't pay attention and the holes ended up too low. I did not want to install the brackets upside down so I decided to take a file and open up the holes.... I am now the living proof that it is POSSIBLE to create a square hole with a round file LOL

I cleaned the hole up before I installed it :)

2148b0b1ed6d2cf.jpg

2148b0b1ee137be.jpg

2148b0b1eeaca84.jpg

The parts are available from Summit,Jegs,Speedwaymotors,Ebay

The threaded tube is 18" long, the rod ends are steel and have 5/8" threads LH and RH and the hole is for a 1/2" bolt.

The brackets are 1/8" angle bar from the local hardware store.

This is a great mod. :thumbs:
It is one of the best "bang for your buck" mods I did to my car. Highly recommend. I wish I had seen your home fabed one before I bought mine from VBP. I could have done it for even less!