Brake pads...

Luster

Compulsively Anal
I'm getting ready to put new brake pads on my '82.

Any recommendations for good, low-dusting pads?

(O'Reilly's, Advance and NAPA in this area...)

I'm getting ready to put new brake pads on my '82.

Any recommendations for good, low-dusting pads?

(O'Reilly's, Advance and NAPA in this area...)

IMO, stock compounds, not anything what attacks the iron like some of them do....course if you into racing...well.....I dunno...

:waxer:

I used Wagner pads. Have not noticed any dust showing anywhere. I don't recall the number offhand- I can get it for you when I get home.

ONE thing to watch is, if the wheels turn black that's pad dust...but if they turn brown dust....that's steel rust from the rotor wear....

rocket science....

:lol:

I like Hawk's street compound pads for everyday use - low noise and dust. Just don't get their HPS+ unless you do track days - great pads but they produce alot of black dust.

ONE thing to watch is, if the wheels turn black that's pad dust...but if they turn brown dust....that's steel rust from the rotor wear....

rocket science....

Your my bud so I won't call you entirely wrong. I have the super pads from WilWood "H" compound and 13 inch rotors up front. Very dusty brown.

Look at the wilwood site for higher end compounds

rocket science....

Your my bud so I won't call you entirely wrong. I have the super pads from WilWood "H" compound and 13 inch rotors up front. Very dusty brown.

Well, I never seen a red pad, so ok, I suppose, but those pads AZ sells from Performance Friction, when they first came out I remember using a set, and the wheel dust was rust, and then when pulling the wheel some time later on I found rotor being worn pretty fast.....off they came and gimme that old soft shit, I"m no millionaire racer....matter of fact, I don't even drag race anymore....:(:chinese::cry:

"higher end" also means MORE EXPENSIVE but unless you know something I don`t know Wilwood doesn`t make a pad for a Corvette caliper.....

RVR, that was not MY quote, I dunno, really....

for my performance street driving, I just can't justify spending many hundreds or much worse on lightweight calipers long as these SS lined OEM's last....got 17" wheels...but rotors are steep also....

maybe think of doing some junkyard engineering like the HB and Rack someday....if so....all you all be first to know....

:crutches::D

"higher end" also means MORE EXPENSIVE but unless you know something I don`t know Wilwood doesn`t make a pad for a Corvette caliper.....

Kind of just like the Greenwood Vette parked behind us at Laguna Seca for the Rolex historics last weekend. I walked over and and looked at the parts. I think they were "HurstAir" Calipers and rotors or something like that. Massive brakes and multi air cooling hoses. I saw another period correct racer with Lockheed disks probably something adapted from light aircraft

In the IMSA race it was in the bottom 1/3rd It had the rumble cam and hardly idled at 1750 rpm.

If you look up the Wilwood "H" pads they have a good high friction for across the temp range. I've had to bleed my brakes after a hot heat race. Look at NASCAR Short track cooling and brakes..................

I'd like to see you do the Laguna seca next year and whip up on the group 6 cars. Steve Earl is kind of .................... an......... It must be nice to make money the old fashion way and inherit it!

Our shop kind of worked on his Blue "Santa Barbara Vette" Like a 58 or so. We had his jag to shine up for a couple of races

Last edited:

Kind of just like the Greenwood Vette parked behind us at Laguna Seca for the Rolex historics last weekend. I walked over and and looked at the parts. I think they were "HurstAir" Calipers and rotors or something like that. Massive brakes and multi air cooling hoses. I saw another period correct racer with Lockheed disks probably something adapted from light aircraft

In the IMSA race it was in the bottom 1/3rd It had the rumble cam and hardly idled at 1750 rpm.

I'd like to see you do the Laguna seca next year and whip up on the group 6 cars. Steve Earl is kind of .................... an......... It must be nice to make money the old fashion way and inherit it!

s

Ever go to the drivers meeting at Monterey? probably not your busy working...but I know two different people who told me basically the same story besides what I saw for myself on TV a couple of years ago.....here goes: Monterey is a scam from a racing standpoint, Steve Earle gets up and tells the drivers who in certain feature marque races will finish 1-2-3....and if anyone wants an invitation next year THAT WILL BE THE FINISH, unless one of those cars breaks, thats what I heard from two people, one who has inherited a ton of money and has raced an AC Cobra for years...he won a race he shouldn`t have won and didn`t get an invite the next year, the other a former T/A driver. Now for what I watched on TV in a Monterey historic Trans/Am race...a guy named Jaime Mazzotta is leading by a bunch, on the last lap he pulls over off into the grass until three guys you might heard of can pass then he pulls back on and finishes fourth, oh those three guys, Parnelli, Folmer and Epsman....further, is there qualifying? timing & scoring?? I think Earle starts you where he wants you to start..which means you have a good chance of finishing where he wants you to finish...me race at Monterey? it`s not a race as they have said it`s a noisy parade, besides except for the Corvette 50th you don`t see C-3 bodied cars except in the IMSA class where they are so outclassed it`s a joke.

I can't post what I think about Steve. He comes over and hangs out with us while we prep his cars. There were Vettes in the production 58 - 65 and 65 -71 or what ever races. Christine Edelbrock I think got a 6th place in her Mustang.

You are right about who they invite to race. Like the Can am race they made Bobby Rahal Start in last...... Just so it would make for better watching as he pasted nearly the whole field for a third place. We were lap timing him and our car and he was faster than the eventual winner. 10 laps was not enough time for him to win.

I can't post what I think about Steve. He comes over and hangs out with us while we prep his cars. There were Vettes in the production 58 - 65 and 65 -71 or what ever races. Christine Edelbrock I think got a 6th place in her Mustang.

You are right about who they invite to race. Like the Can am race they made Bobby Rahal Start in last...... Just so it would make for better watching as he pasted nearly the whole field for a third place. We were lap timing him and our car and he was faster than the eventual winner. 10 laps was not enough time for him to win.

http://montereyhistoric.com/participants/results.html

the link above is to the `08 results, except for in the IMSA class there is no place for a C-3 Corvette, Rahal is a champion but don`t think for a minute cars didn`t move over to let him go by, just as Rob Walton is a very nice fellow but racing against him here at Elkhart he never finished anywhere near the front in his Grand Sport...somehow he was able to win the 50th anniversary of Corvettes race at Monterey...I don`t know why Steve Earle doesn`t like C-3 Corvettes BUT he doesn`t (maybe ask him sometime why C-3 cars can`t race with C-2 cars, I would like to know)....When I PAY to attend to a race it`s all about me BUT at Monterey it`s all about the fans in the stands...that race is known more as a "noisy parade" than a race.