Oil filter adapters bypass or not?

bahamasair

I have to get an oil filter adapter for my 496BB. Im using a H/V H/P oil pump. Should I get an adapter with a bypass or not? Am I right in thinking if it has a bypass it will spend most of the time bypassing the filter since the oil pressure will be higher than stock?
Thanks for any advice

I have to get an oil filter adapter for my 496BB. Im using a H/V H/P oil pump. Should I get an adapter with a bypass or not? Am I right in thinking if it has a bypass it will spend most of the time bypassing the filter since the oil pressure will be higher than stock?
Thanks for any advice

They tell me since the filter has a bypas anyhow, use the non-bypass adapter. I think with that pump I would use a 2 qt chevy filter to keep up.:wink:

Do you homework before you run without a bypass.

The stock chevy oil filters do NOT have an internal bypass, just a check valve for bleed down. They use the bypass in the oil adapter on the block.
Fords and Chryslers are the ones that have the bypass and check valve in the filters.

The stock oil pump creates enough flow and pressure that it is going over relief a lot of the time anyway, so the higher pump will be more so. Both the block relief and the filter reliefs are set at about 12 psi.

You have several options.
Put washers under the bypass spring, or plug the bypass, or plug and drill a hole in bypass plug, and:
Go back to the cannister (pre68) type filter, more messy, but it is ALMOST a full flow filter, as is the 2 quart truck filter if it fits. The problem here is that they filter around 25 microns vs the 18 of the stock spin ons. You also have no way of knowing when they plug up (the cannister type won't blow).
There are mesh type oil filter screens available that you just wash out.
Wix makes 2 lines of racing filters and the difference here is the stock filters have a case burst of around 200psi and the race has a case burst of over 500 psi and better and more free flow filtering medium. Cost anywhere from 10 to 25 bucks.
Another option is to go with a secondary bypass filter system that filters down to a couple of microns, but there isn't much room in a C3 fir that setup. Miltary, yacht and over the road engines have types of these and they work very well.
This is all a good case for using the lightest vicosity oil possible.

There are all kinds of adapters and filter combos available, so just do a lot of research before you decide to block the bypass.

Thanks for the info bud. Does anyone have a part number for a filter with a built in bypass? I looked on the WIX site but they only show by vehicle. They talked about a full flow filter with built in bypass but I don't know what vehicle its designed for.
Never mind I think this filter should work ok for what Ill be doing http://www.jegs.com/i/Fram & Autolite/410/HP4/10002/-1
Thanks for all the help guys

Last edited:
You block off the bypass and run racing filters that can withstand 80+ psi without bursting. Then you adjust your oil pressure with oil weight for your build up.

You need to put some thought into things with bigger pumps. Like 8 quart or higher pans and things like accusumps. I'm a small block guy and I have one stroker motor with oil restricted top end and even with 200-210 operating temps I can only us 5W-30 oil or it exceeds 80 psi As the motor ages and the clearances open up I've in the past been able to use 10W-40