Pads - wear pattern

MYBAD79

Looks like either the rotors are too small or the pads are junk.... I suspect the pads are junk because my rotors are 1979 survivors.... I don't remember if I bought the pads with my calippers at AutoZone or from MidAmerica.... if they're from the Zone I'll return them.... JUNK....

getting ready to order the good stuff and the O-ring conversion....

Took these photos about three hours ago, note the assembly lube in the blue can :beer:

2148a8c45d0f601.jpg

close ups:
2148a8c45c5d7f3.jpg

2148a8c54c0dbe6.jpg

You know, too much of that blue assembly lube can result in premature where.:lol:

Yes, I do mean WHERE....as in WHERE did I put that goddamn wrench.......

Just my opinion, but I bought my pads from Pattie at VBandP, told her I just wanted plain old stock pads. They are still on the car, and can lock up all 4 at 100MPH. Unless your going to race, I believe the stock stuff they have is fine.
The o-ring kits are super easy to install, but I have only done them for friends. My calipers were on the car 8 years ago, and still don't leak. When they do, they are going in.
I did , however, change all 4 rotors back then. Just the cheapo stock units again from Pattie.

yup... where did I put that assembly lube ??? :smash:

Jeff, the stock stuff is usually fine, I agree.... but... see that the pads are riveted ? On the other (passenger) side the pad material moves slightly relative to the metal backing plate :footmouth:

If I find the receipt I'll be back at the Zone next weekend..... I hope I didn't buy the crap from an online vendor, that'll take all the fun out of it

yup... where did I put that assembly lube ??? :smash:

Jeff, the stock stuff is usually fine, I agree.... but... see that the pads are riveted ? On the other (passenger) side the pad material moves slightly relative to the metal backing plate :footmouth:

If I find the receipt I'll be back at the Zone next weekend..... I hope I didn't buy the crap from an online vendor, that'll take all the fun out of it

Yep. See that now.
Just one thing a brake guy told me. Autozone offers the lifetime warranty on pads BECAUSE they switched to a real hard friction material. They figure the pads will outlast your old car, AND they chew up you rotors so you will need to buy them at a later date.
Truith or BS? Who knows. Sounds like a cheezy corporate decision to me.

Who knows ? I do..... at least a little... :huh:

I bought brake pads and rotors from AdvancedAuto for both of our Camaros, the V6 has the same pads/rotors as the Z28.... Advanced sells 'silver' and 'gold' pads as well as Bendix, I bought the 'silver', semi metallics for like $39 for the fronts.
I put almost 60000 miles on the Z28 and I was not easy on the brakes. The pads were worn, the rotors were a little worn but nothing too serious, normal wear after 60K miles I'd say.... I returned the pads for new ones earlier this year, the look on the guy's face was priceless... he asked his manager if this was really covered under the warranty ...LOL... well, lifetime warranty is lifetime warranty.... they said it's only for manufaturer's defects or some bull... well, they still gave me a new set...
Heck, if the rotors last 50000 miles with the semi metallics then so be it... at my current pace it'll be good for at least 30 years - I don't drive the '79 that much

Just today I returned the front left calipper for a new one (no problems) with a 4 year old receipt that you can barely read... The one I had needed goop to seal at the brake line, the spot face wasn't perfect, I've known this for years but I've been too lazy to take the calipper off and paint/install the new one...until today :drink:
Want to make sure I have four good calippers when I do the O-ring conversion.

I'm not too sure the O-rings will drastically improve breaking but I'll have the '79 on jackstands to do the JohnnyJoints and the rear wheel bearings.. might as well do the breaks while I'm at it....

Last edited:
I'm glad to hear that. I admit to using them for some stuff, like my daughters old Lincoln POS. I changed pads every 2 years, and they replaced them free. It just got to be old doing it every two years. Glad that car is in the crusher now.:bounce:

You know... just checked their website again: the rotors only have a 1yr warranty...LOL... wonder why.... the rotors last longer than their pads.... :lol:

FYI, them pads in the OP up top don't look worn much to me at all...maybe 1/2 was at MOST...plenty of material....

FYI, them pads in the OP up top don't look worn much to me at all...maybe 1/2 was at MOST...plenty of material....

Gene, good thing you mention this - these pads have only seen 1500 miles since 2004, that's pretty much it.... the ridge at the outer diameter is what concens me... and the wear of course.... if wear progresses at this rate the pads are done after 20K miles....

Gene, good thing you mention this - these pads have only seen 1500 miles since 2004, that's pretty much it.... the ridge at the outer diameter is what concens me... and the wear of course.... if wear progresses at this rate the pads are done after 20K miles....

Ok 1500 miles 1/4 mile at a time over 4 years....so another 40? years at this rate?? and you are concerned???:bump::twitch::censored:

Hi Bad,
It looks like a problem with the pad. It could also be with the bevel on the rotor. I'm assuming they are both off the same wheel. Since only one pad has the lip I doubt there's a problem with the bracket or something bent/damaged.
Mike

I think I read someplace that the O ring pistons need to be used ONLY in sleeved calipers. Something about the slightly smaller ID of the SS sleeves being correct for the O rings and such. Don't count on this as 100% fact-- verify please.

I did all 4 of Ol' Red's last winter- they were already sleeved.

its hard to see and understand what you are complaining about. Looks like brand new pads to me.

Maybe a slight chamfer at the top of one.

You know... just checked their website again: the rotors only have a 1yr warranty...LOL... wonder why.... the rotors last longer than their pads.... :lol:

OH, one more thing.....

when you see rust on your wheel instead of black brake dust.....obviously you are wearing the rotors instead of the pads....

rocket science 101.....:bump::crap:

its hard to see and understand what you are complaining about. Looks like brand new pads to me.

Maybe a slight chamfer at the top of one.

There's a "step" at the outer diameter of the pad, roughly .040"... not the entire pad surface area is actually contacting the rotor. It looks like the pads need to be moved .040" towards the center, maybe the hole for the pin is in the wrong location, mislocating the pad....

I'll have a close look when I install new pads later this year.

welcome back btw:cool:

Karsten, Did you find the problem?

I replaced the calipper - the reason I took the front left apart was a leak at the brake hose connection. The machined spot face on the new calipper seals a lot better, now it seals perfectly with only one copper washer instead of two :D

I just put the pad back and I'll compare it with the new pads that are on their way - if the location of the pin-hole is different then I guess I found the problem.