God I hate leaks

big2bird

Charter Member, Founder Bird-Run, Cruise-In Bird-R
I hate them, because I take meticulate care of my cars, spend the $$, and buy the right stuff. The 81 has a Milodon $100 pan, a grade 8 fine thread bolt for a drain plug, a factory grade 8 nut welded inside, and a copper gasket. It weeps. Today I changed the oil, and installed a new Dorman(China) copper drain plug gasket. IT weeps. This pisses me off to no end. Rant over. (Well, maybe tomarrow) :banghead:

Buy a nylon washer. Only a 100$ pan? suits you right for cheaping out :D

Xander has a milodon pan under his car also, doesn't weap at all....so must be installer error :crylol:

Xander has a milodon pan under his car also, doesn't weap at all....so must be installer error :crylol:

OIL PAN?? chebby 350?? ten bux, any junkyard....maybe even FREE from machine shops...scrap....need capacity?? add an inch here or there....

then there is that pan my welder buddy fixed up for that Pariah boat....

fancy plumbing to make for easy oil changes without any bilge filth....

:lol::stirpot::stirpot:

Xander's car still on blocks?

Since it is 1/2"grade 8 sae thread, Ima gonna go torque the shit out of it to see if it seats.

I'm with ya...leaks suck. I have a leak from the PS cylinder. Rebuilt it once..leak cam back after about a month...just that annoying single drip every once and awhile.

I've always had good luck with the nylon washers.

OIL PAN?? chebby 350?? ten bux, any junkyard....maybe even FREE from machine shops...scrap....need capacity?? add an inch here or there....

then there is that pan my welder buddy fixed up for that Pariah boat....

fancy plumbing to make for easy oil changes without any bilge filth....

:lol::stirpot::stirpot:

Gene. Junk yards just don't exist around here anymore. When I got the crate engine, I unpacked it months later. The stocker had a dent, so I ordered a cheapo chrome china pos. It leaked. So when I installed the windage tray, I got the matching pan/oil pick up/1 piece gasket. Cured, except for this annoying drip. Arghh.

Buy a teflon washer. Only a 100$ pan? suits you right for cheaping out :D

Since it is 1/2"grade 8 sae thread, Ima gonna go torque the shit out of it to see if it seats.

No, but it's not been through the MOT yet, still waiting on some parts (door panels) and Karstens latest box, it has the perforated cores in it so I can fabricate some muffler inserts for the sidepipes....and blocks? Tisk tisk..come on now, LIFT :D

Hey, just for fun we took out the rear axle to fix a slight stub axle play issue (very minor but it wasn't quite perfect) and decided to coat the bare fiberglass with bedliner,.....added a diff cooler & pump while we were at it.

And hey, the oil pan doesn't notice if the car is driving, as long as there's oil in the sump it can leak :D

Buy a teflon washer. Only a 100$ pan? suits you right for cheaping out :D

No, but it's not been through the MOT yet, still waiting on some parts (door panels) and Karstens latest box, it has the perforated cores in it so I can fabricate some muffler inserts for the sidepipes.

Hey, just for fun we took out the rear axle to fix a slight stub axle play issue (very minor but it wasn't quite perfect) and decided to coat the bare fiberglass with bedliner,.....added a diff cooler & pump while we were at it.

And hey, the oil pan doesn't notice if the car is driving, as long as there's oil in the sump it can leak :D

:trumpet:Well I torqued it to 1/2" spec. No leaky. May take a breaker bar to remove it though. (I still love the "wer'e just doing a refresh" quote though).;)
I can't imagine the frustration waiting on material. The longest I ever wait is 48 hours.:smash::smash::smash:

I'm with ya...leaks suck. I have a leak from the PS cylinder. Rebuilt it once..leak cam back after about a month...just that annoying single drip every once and awhile.

I've always had good luck with the nylon washers.

I understand. I bought the SS lined cylinder from VBandP. No leaks in 2 ?years. I have been thru 3 control valves though till I got a good one. Those seem to drip once in awhile no matter what.

I guess my 35 buck rack outta a junkyard '92 Grand Am was a steal then....

no leaks in 6+ years.......:thumbs::eek::smash::smash::lol:

I would say so Gene. Do a thread on the install with pics. :mime:

It such a old project been talked about for so many years I just burnt out on it, and wonderment of the silliness with other installs is just amusement to me...

I was thinking VBP has enough smarts to figger out how to do a rack conversion, but when seeing their changes to the Steeroids install, I had to laugh last winter...same thing, no significant changes....

and THAT mess from the folks who do control arms, and springs, and other shit that's SO far over my head I can't imagine???...:bonkers::mad::pprrtt::search:

I hate them, because I take meticulate care of my cars, spend the $$, and buy the right stuff. The 81 has a Milodon $100 pan, a grade 8 fine thread bolt for a drain plug, a factory grade 8 nut welded inside, and a copper gasket. It weeps. Today I changed the oil, and installed a new Dorman(China) copper drain plug gasket. IT weeps. This pisses me off to no end. Rant over. (Well, maybe tomarrow) :banghead:

try a nylon gasket

Bird mind don't leak at all $60 for the original ( I think)
oil pan came with oil plug. and now that the trans ran out of oil no leaks at all. Just kidding still has some oil in it.:D

quote=big2bird;17857]I hate them, because I take meticulate care of my cars, spend the $$, and buy the right stuff. The 81 has a Milodon $100 pan, a grade 8 fine thread bolt for a drain plug, a factory grade 8 nut welded inside, and a copper gasket. It weeps. Today I changed the oil, and installed a new Dorman(China) copper drain plug gasket. IT weeps. This pisses me off to no end. Rant over. (Well, maybe tomarrow) :banghead:[/quote]

What a coincidense my tranny is leaking oil now also, :bullshit: i'm waiting for it to get low then it will quite,it is leaking out the ft seal :rain: