Temperature and oil pressure

MYBAD79

Setup: 383ci SB, 9.8:1 CR, Comp 230-236 roller cam, Edelbrock RPM heads, performer intake, 600cfm Performer carb, Summit aluminum radiator, mech fan.

On the highway, at 65-75mph, roughly 2000 rpm (TKO600) it runs at 180F - even in traffic it appears to be very healthy:

2148a71d65e9d16.jpg

pretty good temps and pressure huh ??? The "cylinder head temp" is the water temperature at the passenger side rear temp port. The "water temp" is the water temp at the thermostat.

Hi

Looks good, but normally, the cylinder head temp is measured at the head metal surface, between the spark plug and the head with a washer type sender unit, isn't it ?
Why do you measure water temp at differnt , but similar locations ? The head water is the water directed straight to the thermostat, or ?

Rgds. Günther

The cyl. head gauge came with a 1/4" NPT sending unit as far as I remember, have to look at the box again. At the time I did not have an adapter from the 1/2" or whatever size it is to the smaller sending unit, well, I did have an adapter but what I need is a plug with a 1/4" NPT for the sender so that it measures metal temperature and not water temp.

Looks like the water temp at the head is 10 degrees cooler than at the thermostat.

Hi

Yes, I saw this 10 degrees, but don't see where those could come from. May be the indicatuions are not so correct. May be the water takes a bit more heat from cylinder top travelling from mid head to the front where the thermostat lives.

Anyway, nice setup, looks good.

Rgds. Günther