Since I am unable to buy vette parts for a couple of months

guru

I bought a new truck and new computer, and the ol' lady is a little peturbed with me. Even though the new computer and truck are awesome.

So I am left only with imagining the super awesome stuff I could do.

So, here is the challenge:
No AFR, Edelbrock or Compcams.
A 396 smallblock with flat top pistons.

So here is what I am thinking, just because I can:
Dart 215cc heads with 64cc chambers. Maybe even get the CNC chamber and CNC gasket match options.

Dart Single plane with the supermod modifications.

Speed Demon 850 with annular boosters and vacuum secondaries.

Crane Cams - 119681
http://www.cranecams.com/index.php?show=browseParts&action=partSpec&partNumber=119681&lvl=2&prt=5

This is what I do to amuse myself when my wife wont let me play civilizations on my playstation cause she wants to watch tv....:pprrtt:

Iv'e seen you post 100's of combinations, but never a goal. Just what the hell is it you want? The perfect engine? Figure out how you can add variable valve timing to a Gen1 SBC and you'll be on track. You can run the numbers till hell freezes over, but the limitations of the bumpstick will always mess with your head.

Iv'e seen you post 100's of combinations, but never a goal. Just what the hell is it you want? The perfect engine? Figure out how you can add variable valve timing to a Gen1 SBC and you'll be on track. You can run the numbers till hell freezes over, but the limitations of the bumpstick will always mess with your head.

"mess with your head" -----how true!:smash:

Cam timing is a bitch.:twitch:

Welll, I thought I was the only scatter brain, till I went back to the basics. You would be surprise the more one can accomplish.

I like keep it simple, and practicle.
Universal crate engine, $1,500. 700-R, $1,500. 20MPG. Burns regular. Cruises 100MPH at 1,850RPM. Can break any speed law in Kalifornia, and pass smog. Perfest combo for cruising, and reliable as hell.
Would I like another car with a blown BBC, hell ya. But, where the hell can I drive it and ENJOY IT? I would love to buy Norvall's car, good price for what you get. But to the show en shine? I completely understand why he is selling it.
Maybe I am getting too old.:quote:

Universal crate engine, $1,500. 700-R, $1,500. 20MPG. Burns regular. Cruises 100MPH at 1,850RPM. Can break any speed law in Kalifornia, and pass smog. Perfest combo for cruising, and reliable as hell.
Would I like another car with a blown BBC, hell ya. But, where the hell can I drive it and ENJOY IT? I would love to buy Norvall's car, good price for what you get. But to the show en shine? I completely understand why he is selling it.

If you're getting too "old" what the Hell is happening to me?:suspicious:

If you're getting too "old" what the Hell is happening to me?:suspicious:

Freeking fossil....:smash::smash:sez the guy who has a dinosore skeleton....

I say 200 4r WAY ahead of a 700 for the car....and keep the engine down to 400hp and be happyas a clam as the thing does 150 with the top/windows down....call it a day...:2nd: I maybe only 1/2fast but it bugies well enough....

Gene,
The 200R-700-R arguement will never be settled here. They each have good points and bad ones. It took me awhile to get it set up to shift when I want, but I am pleased.

On the subject of VVT?

Do any of you guys know how the new GM VVT works?

OK so goals.
A fun and interesting time talking about motor combos, and an awesome journey. Its a hobby, and I keep blowing hobby money on things for the house and wife. So the goal is to slowly amass stuff and talk about it incessantly because posting on the interweb is free, and I am running out of cheap stuff to do. I dont really have technology goals, I have been developing a series of parameters though.

The parameters are 396ci smallblock
3.875" stroke and a 4.03" bore

A hydraulic roller camshaft, gonna have to be a small base circle. There is a crane cam that will do the trick I think.
http://www.cranecams.com/index.php?show=browseParts&action=partSpec&partNumber=119681&lvl=2&prt=5

Aluminum heads with stock location exhaust ports and straight plugs to go with the hooker sidemount headers (Leaving pretty much Dart and or Brodix, I am leaning toward Dart)

Since I am not going to be able to afford an awesome crossram weber get up I might as well go with an L88 Hood and cold air chamber. So, the problem with the cold air chamber is that its REALLY up there. I have read somewhere that there is room for a 1" spacer above an RPM airgap, and 1" or 1.5" spacer on top of the carb (i forget which). I mean there is A LOT of room up there. Big ol' spacers there. So I am leaning toward a GM or Motown single plane. In my readings on the blow through forums when I was thinking about a turbo getup, I remember reading that dual planes arent that great for blow through because of poor fuel distribution. I would think that would hold through with the cowl induction as well.

So messing around with Grumpy's tech article on heads, the Dart pro 1 200 makes peak torque at 3600rpm and becomes restrictive at 6400rpm. The pro 1 215s make peak torque at 3800rpm and becomes restrictive at 6700rpm. At least according the CA information he posted.

So what is neat is that the LS7 can redline at 7000rpm, I don't see any reason why my motor cannot act as reasonably as the LS7 does. Especially with advances in carb, valve spring, and an AFR hydrarev kit. I have been doing some reading on Annular boosters, and they might do the trick.

I want to put a short fill in the block strengthen the bottom of the block and the web area. There isnt any signifigant cooling done there, and if I take cooling seriously like an olympic sport there shouldnt be any impact, and worst case I would need an oil cooler.

I really intend to make cooling a priority to include pretty much the entire stewart cannon of small block cooling, to include the addition of the coolant port under the exhaust ports.

With such a long duration camshaft I could probably still run 64cc chambers with flat-tops and still deal with the mild forced induction from the cowl induction.

Does that ramble cover everything? Actually as I think about it, that cam might be a little big.

Last edited:
So while reading Grumpies thread on 383's I dont think the billet rods I have are going to work out for a stroker motor. Which is fine, I am not married to it.

If anybody wants some used 396 SBC pistons let me know. I am willing to trade.

So if a stroker is out, where does that leave me.

Well lets philosophize about a 355 (he he he he he it rhymes)

a 4340 forged 3.48" stroke crankshaft
I already have billet rods
some decent pistons with standard ring sizes
Dart Pro 1 200cc heads
somewhere around a 284/292 on a 112 LSA camshaft(Hyd Roller)
a weiand team g
barry grant speed demon

Going to approach this from a different way:

I want to be able to operate between 0-60+ mph in first gear
Use as much of the 160mph spedometer as possible

use a 3 series carrier for the rearend

In the life of this engine I will use transmissions and rear gear combos

An M21 (2.2, 1.64, 1.28, 1) with a 3.9 rearend (60mph at 6383, topseed of 134mph at 6479)
Richmond 5speed (2.77,1.88,1.46,1.18,1) with a 3.08 rearend (60mph at 6347rpm and 160mph at 6110rpm)

So perhaps a 6500rpm redline

The general purpose is generic all encompassing motorsports, fun, and street driving.

So reading a bunch o grumpy tech articles, with a 355 I am looking at peak torque around 4100rpm with a set of Dart pro 1 200cc heads. which puts me in around the right place for peak power somewhere around 6000rpm.

Not to sure about the camshaft. Best I can glean from looking at cams from pretty much every maker is mid to high 220s on intake, low 230s on exhaust and between 112 and 114 on the lobe seperation. Probably no bigger than 230/238.

The intake is also a conundrum with a low RPM of around 3000rpm a single plane would be appropriate, and the loss of low rpm torque could be partially combated with annular boosters in the carb. Been reading a lot about them, seem to be a really good advance in technology. Now the appropriate single plane would appear to be a weiand single plane either the low profile xcelerator or team g.

been reading about carbs. I keep dancing the line between vacuum and mechanical secondaries. Mainly because of car weight. I am leaning toward vacuum. Probably around 750cfm.

Last edited: