Rebuild time

John79Vette

Hi
I was hoping my motor tick was going to be just a lifter adjustment but when I removed the valve cover one valve was not even moving.
A big pony turn key sounds great but my wallet says rebuild.
Any advice on what parts (cam ect.) to put in it.
I would like a little more power.(gas mileage not as important as reliabilty)

What have you got to work with right now ex,heads,intake,exhaust,carb.etc
how far do you want to go with the rebuild?

I have a 1979 stock L48
Budget of approx. $2500
I will have it overhauled by a local engine rebuilder.

More helpful to know what your goals are for the car, and a honest idea of the overall condition....rust/etc....and IF you want to drive it frequently, what sort of driving?? freeway or mostly lo speed around town crap....
is it stick or auto, and what is rear gear ratio???
on that gear ratio, don't assume a damn thing on a 30 y/o car, someone could have easily changed the gearset...so the only way to prove that is to get under there and take a careful count of driveshaft rotation per rev of tires....
counting portions of the rotation VERY carefully as the tires come around to ref point....

I tend to recommend what works for me over some 15 years of hotrodding my '72 here, but it maybe not what you want/need as always YMMV....

:bounce::hunter:

One valve not moving:
what's the problem ???

- broken rocker
- broken pushrod
- bent pushrod
- collapsed lifter
- wiped cam lobe

?????

The answer to the question(s) above has a big influence on the answer to your question .....

rebuild time

Condition of car:
Mechanicals: Very Good. Factory original.
Body: Very Good. 20 year old paint is presentable. Frame has had reinforcing plates welded in.
Interior: Good
Chrome/trim: Good Complete
Tops: Good solid t-tops
Tires/Wheels: Very Good
Overall: Straight usable driver condition. Third owner. Good eye appeal.
I would like to keep this car and think it is worth putting 2 or 3 thousand into it.
I am not thinking about making it into a showroom car just a fun good looking driver.

Well if you are wanting to stay mainly stock except for a diffrent cam,i think we need to get Gleen Brutal64 to run some numbers for you,i think he has some software to do that,he has been running a bunch of #'s here lately Tim,maybe he will chime in or pm him to come over and give a look for you. I bet he can set you up :drink: