Dumb question......

mrvette

Phantom of the Opera
I constantly hear of guys way in hell overusing RTV sealant, and then I hear of it getting into the oiling passages.....etc....

ok, so how?? it MAY work it's way past the pick up screen, but how?? gotta be a awful small piece then, but then

WHAT PERCENTAGE of oil is typically run through the filter at various stages of engine operation???

say cold-hot and various speeds....with a new filter and then with a 1/2 life filter and then at say the 5000 mile marker....

GO smart guys....I thinking a typical V8....but maybe our SBC of the older type are more prone to the problems???

honestly I have never had a problem, but tmrw is another day....

:hunter::thumbs:

If you use "enough" RTV you might block the pickup.... you REALLY have to overuse it.... other than that, medium size pieces will find their way to the pan and hopefully flush out during an oil change, that's IF they come loose. I took my intake off the old L48 and there was a good amount of RTV hanging into the lifter valley but it was still attached to the rest of the RTV between intake and block. Why would it come loose ???