Gutting CATS

I dunno man, those things cost bux these days, and so to save them out and put in pipes just in case all the weenies get in, and they outlaw anything/everything....otherwise buying them will cost a fortune....

:crap::D

HP gains are not worth destroying an otherwise functional converter. That said, if your converters are flanged I'd just replace the converter with a pipe (weld it between two new flanges).
If you're not worried about ever needing these cats just take a broomstick and beat the ceramic honeycomb out of the shell..... sound might get a little raspy....

HP gains are not worth destroying an otherwise functional converter. That said, if your converters are flanged I'd just replace the converter with a pipe (weld it between two new flanges).
If you're not worried about ever needing these cats just take a broomstick and beat the ceramic honeycomb out of the shell..... sound might get a little raspy....

I agree, but I just hate to see him get screwed with another senseless 'tax' when everyone had to buy back every damn cat converter in the country all at once, you think a damn OIL bubble is bad, the bastards will be charging some 1000 bux each for the damn things,....I understand they in the ~300 region right now, new.....Ricky the guy down the street has a theft problem with them stealing the old cats for the metals, akin to the damn copper-a/c theives....

there is a reason I have a 12 ga auto shotgun loaded......

:D:D:D:devil:

Any advice on how to get all the crap out? C-5 Pups and main CATS.

Thanks in advance.

tt

I would think that would jack up the oxygens sensors after the cats. High flow cats are not very restrictive anyhow.

Any advice on how to get all the crap out? C-5 Pups and main CATS.

Thanks in advance.

tt

I would think that would jack up the oxygens sensors after the cats. High flow cats are not very restrictive anyhow.

Umm hadn't thought of that, but U right......but some power plays with the computer gets around it...for sure....:shocking:money out....:ill:

It WILL trigger the check engine light, the pre cats are monitored for efficiency.
The only way to get rid of that code tripping is with a programmer, otherwise it will return after resetting.
Also, it would sound very tinny, I wouldn't do it.

You should be able to get "mill eliminators" that take the place of the rear O2 sensors and trick the computer. When cats first came out they were very restrictive but, the newer ones will hardly effect performance. If you are that worried about it you can always look into high flow cats.

I would love to find someone with a C5 or C6 with a cat in good condition to take back pressure readings and possibly on a chassis dyno with the can then replace it with a pipe and take them again and document the difference for everyone to see. I think most people would then see that it very unnecessary and could cost added expense down the road. Lets not give the tree huggers more ammunition against our hobby.

You could just weld a pipe inside the converter so you'll at least pass a visual.... it won't sound as tinny as a hollow cat.
For the SES light: I have a Predator (Diablosport U7198) that will take care of that problem for sale ;)

Holy crap, did not know I was going to get so many responses, kewl. I am actually more worried about sending a chunk of "crap" down the line into my turbos. :crap: I do hate to remove the dang things, PITA for sure. Probably just cut the pipes and replace, save the old cats for retirement funds :)

thanks gang!

tt

Holy crap, did not know I was going to get so many responses, kewl.

it's a pretty good forum :thumbs::smash:

If you just cut them out and replace with pipe you can at least put the cats back whenever you sell the car.
So what are going to do about the engine light ?

I agree, although the handheld programmers are a good bang for the bux spent I probably get the software for my C6... we'll see....

When I bought my '82, it had turbo mufflers on it, but it was as quiet as stock, which I hated!

So I went to a muffler shop and had him put Flowmasters on it. When he cut the turbo's off, they were FULL of the old CAT material!

He took off the CAT to take a look inside and it was completely empty... all the guts had blown back into the muffs!

He made sure the pipes were clean before putting on the new Flowmasters... Man what a difference in performance! (and, of course, sound)...

I never have replaced the CAT. Runs great... no codes...

I may, at some point, replace the empty CAT with a hi-flow one, just to be more environmentally friendly!

I need to check out the cat on my 82. The car runs fine, but I would like to get rid of the cat.

We have a hand held snake camera at work. It has a 2 or 3 foot flex line and a small color display. I am going to borrow it one weekend, so we can do some internal inspections on the turbos.

The new exhaust system I bought for the 00 has high flow cats in it. I have the stock exhaust with the factory cats, and the high flow cats and off road pipes, that I bought with the Bassani x-pipe system, so don't worry about needing some cats. I got you covered.

Also, the system on my 00 doesn't have the pup cats. If you want to put that on the car, to eliminate the pup cats, you are welcome to give it a try.

I need to check out the cat on my 82. The car runs fine, but I would like to get rid of the cat.

We have a hand held snake camera at work. It has a 2 or 3 foot flex line and a small color display. I am going to borrow it one weekend, so we can do some internal inspections on the turbos.

The new exhaust system I bought for the 00 has high flow cats in it. I have the stock exhaust with the factory cats, and the high flow cats and off road pipes, that I bought with the Bassani x-pipe system, so don't worry about needing some cats. I got you covered.

Also, the system on my 00 doesn't have the pup cats. If you want to put that on the car, to eliminate the pup cats, you are welcome to give it a try.

If you have a stock cat in your 82 they are highly restrictive. Magnaflow makes high flowing cats, and they also make them for alot of other manufacturers, sold under different brand names.

If you're worried about a cat pooping it's guts out and into a turbo, maybe build a SS screen and install it in the turbo inlet.

What are you trying to do give us all cancer? Leave thm on. I took mine off my 85 but I live in Canada and we have more clean air than anybody, so it doesn't matter up here. I found a noticable gain in performance once removed in both my 84 and 85 vettes. A little more snappy.