lt1 manifold on a regular small block

Apart from cooling, the most noticable difference is the ignition system. LT1 uses no distributor but a front mounted optispark, sort of a crank trigger with distributor in one. Surely you have seen it.

Now, for adapting a manifold all you need is to drill a hole in the rear for the distrubutor and weld (or bubba jb weld) a distributor collar and boss for bolting it down. You will also have to rework the coolant plumbing by connecing both sides of the manifold, either in front or the rear (or plumb the heads for a Y manifold)

Gene here has done it, I'm sure he'll chime in.

TT, thanks or NO thanks for the intro....if his project turns out fine like MY thing did....well :bounce: but if it turns to shit as without significant thoughts it surely WILL....:crap: maybe I don't wanna be associated with it...

aside from the obvious dizzy differance which I consider to be a HUGE drawback to the LT engine series....which BTW work fine in a large car or a truck, but down LO in a vette, it's a absolute diss ass ter....so I hear...

so, the intake ports are same locations as the four outer corner bolts...BUT the lange is the same plane even though the bolts are NOT....they went in vertically, as opposed to directly into the head at a 90* angle.....per previous SBC practice...

I had a L98 induction on essentially a ZZ4 engine, but due to other complications and having been fighting with it some 13 years on and off, I got sick of it, and wasn't spending the MONEY for someone else to do what I figgered could be done by myself ....and a TIG welding buddy....

so for 150 bus WITH FI rails plus another 60? for injectors later on off another ebay site....I had the LT setup on the car....

but you have to get some intake gaskets, lay it up, spot, mark what and how, and then cut like wild....I had a old beat up SBC intake I used for a dizzy pad that was chopped out and TIGGed in place over the spotted/drilled LT mani....

the result with the water cooling bungs up front into a 'remote t'stat' housing from OFFY, and in the Smut catalogs....

is a huge simplification and easy to repair system.....

see my site or here for pix of the resulting install ...
keep in mind. this is NOT for the faint of heart, and I had a few heart stoppages over it.....it IS dooable as on that LT1 site....

driven every silly day since last Feb or so....

:bump::bump::bounce:

I don't think I'm going to do the twin turbo so I don't need this

Thanks for the help anyways

I don't think I'm going to do the twin turbo so I don't need this

Thanks for the help anyways

Eh did it over maybe a month's time and then a week to get it sorted out on the car and running down the road....

don't go all CS on this now, but you need get your head together, and contact or DO some good TIG welding....in fact you supposed to be able to do it without TIG welding, but I think it's BS.....

ONE install the thing is fine, runs well....

Yeh, very encouraging, I had NO idea what was the supposed HP increase over the L98, but went for the one time ONLY total simplification of the install, damn sick and tired of those cool looking but stupid designed runners and 50 bolts to take that thing down......

now supposedly the TPIS very old design for a roller cam that was a decent lick some 12 years ago, is that ZZ9 cam still in my engine today, never even had the timing cover off , yet....

supposedly worth 425 ft lbs on a L98 engine and some 360? hp or so....

MY guess is it should make closer to 400 hp and same torque, as the car just feels SO much more powerful NOW, as opposed to the old Edel base and Lingy runners I had on there before.....

I know pants don't tell the story, but well.....something is much happier....

:stirpot::D