Side mirror question...

saudivette

Clueless In Sandland
I have the electric sport side mirrors on my 82. Were all the "sport" mirrors electric? If not, are the outer shells the same? Can the electric mirrors be disassembled?

I'll probably get flamed, but I want to get my side mirror shells coated with that carbon fiber look photo film stuff (can't remember what it's called) but I'm not ready to pull my mirrors off yet. If the shells are the same, I'd like to get a couple of shells, get them coated then put my electric gubbins into them at a later date...

Hey Saudi... don't you know? No flames here!

(What an idiot this guy is!) (Haha.... just kidding of course!)...:nuts:

I'm pretty sure that power mirrors were standard equipment on '82's. I've never seen an '82 that didn't have sport mirrors that were power.

No, what I meant was were all the sport mirrors electric and if not, were the shells all the same. If there's a non-electric type, will my electrical internals fit into them? I see mirrors on eBay but sometimes I've seen just the shells and the sellers don't say whether was electric or manual.

I'm just trying to avoid removing my mirrors now while getting another set ready to bolt on later. I've got to plan jobs like this around vacations out of this country when I can take the parts with me...

Last edited:
My 78 sport mirror's are not electric,they are manuel with a little joy stick on the door too move them.
As far as the shell,they are the same. :D

Wayne, my '72 came with mismatched as to size, with 2 chrome mirrors....one large and one smaller....at any rate I replaced them with later shark mirrors....cable operated on the driver's side,and manual on the pass side...but I just glued the mirror in position for the pass side, and use bubble mirrors anyway so to see at a glance....I hate being without the bubbles, and in fact they about negate the need for adjustments.....called truck driver's mirrors....need getting used to, but...I love them

:thumbs:

Ive got a set of '78 sport mirrors collecting dust. They are currently pink, but since your planning on covering them, a little sanding and disassembly and they should be ready to go.

Mike, do you know if these were the orginal mirrors off your car? Originally, they were a metallic goldy/brown colour.

I just started stripping them and this is what I found...
35490d841d00fa0.jpg

35490d841db5a68.jpg

35490d841e7b0d8.jpg

Layer of primer, layer of gold colour, layer of red shit, layer of primer, layer of pink, layer of pink, layer of pink and finally, a layer of pink :lol:

Those mirrors have been painted a few times,how long did it take you to sand through all of that :crap:

Those mirrors have been painted a few times,how long did it take you to sand through all of that :crap:
I haven't started sanding them yet but all I've done so far is lift it all off with a razor blade. Apart from the original colour, it flakes off in huge chunks! It shouldn't take long to sand the original colour off though once the "flaking" is done...

OK now how the hell do you get them off the door,i see 2 nuts on the back side of the panel but the glass is in the way,do you have to take the glass out :banghead:

OK now how the hell do you get them off the door,i see 2 nuts on the back side of the panel but the glass is in the way,do you have to take the glass out :banghead:

:D YEP! The glass has to come out in order to remove the mirrors.......ENJOY.

It's not too bad.........it could be worse.........on our '81 the power window motors
were inop with the windows all the way up. We were able to get them out.

:D YEP! The glass has to come out in order to remove the mirrors.......ENJOY.

It's not too bad.........it could be worse.........on our '81 the power window motors
were inop with the windows all the way up. We were able to get them out.

Thats what i thought :cussing: mine are power also and they are down and the doors are off the car.
Hey i sent you a PM and could you cruise through my other 3 threads.

PLEASE.i think i'm about to wear Karsten out with questions :surrender:

If your window motors work fine you can simply use a couple of jumper wires
and a spare battery or battery charger to run the glass up and down.

At our shop....on cars I get a lot I keep spare "pig tails" off old wiring harnesses
and use a 12 volt Jump Box to run windows up and down when tearing down
used doors for paint.

If your window motors work fine you can simply use a couple of jumper wires
and a spare battery or battery charger to run the glass up and down.

At our shop....on cars I get a lot I keep spare "pig tails" off old wiring harnesses
and use a 12 volt Jump Box to run windows up and down when tearing down
used doors for paint.

Awwwwwww good idea thanks for the input. Now i can take my mirrors off and paint them off the car,because they have that dang little gasket under them and i don,t think paint would adhere to them very well,plus it might look tacky.