Need pics of 68 427/390 Choke assy

Douglas Mariani

I still can't find my shop manual (5 weeks now) I have to rebuild the Carburetor due to the accelerator pump not working so well(it dribbles) I want to get rid of the manual choke and go back to stock. Any and all pics of the carb and choke will be appreciated
Thanks
IMG_2089.jpg

Or can this be changed back to stock?
IMG_2091.jpg

I am working on this for you Doug. I BELIEVE the stock unit is a divorced choke. In that case, it would be "change the manifold" time, as I see no heat well. I AM just guessing here.

Looks like he has the provision for the divorced choke coil box.

I can post a pic of my '70 454 if that will help.

Response from Lars

It can be changed back to stock, but he's missing a bunch of parts, including the manifold choke coil assembly and the linkage pieces.
Lars

That little box in the intake is for a divorced choke- on that one, it's just a thermo coil in a tin box..Smokin, your 70 should be the same or real close. The coil should not be a problem- the tin box might be. the rod might be hard to find, but I've made them from a coathanger or a piece of welding rod. If you're looking for original, maybe one of the vendors has them.

I am working on this for you Doug. I BELIEVE the stock unit is a divorced choke. In that case, it would be "change the manifold" time, as I see no heat well. I AM just guessing here.

Hi Jeff if I'm not mistaken thats the heat well under the choke cable.My Intake # is GM 3937793 Also when you can give me a call or let me know a good time to call you.
IMG_2093.jpg

Looks like he has the provision for the divorced choke coil box.

I can post a pic of my '70 454 if that will help.

Thanks Smokin I can get the Choke coil,rod and cover I just don't if or how bad my carb linkage has been scewed with.Pictures, diagrams..etc and with the help of the forum we can figure out whats missing or not and decide to rebuild or replace

Last edited:
I would scrounge up the parts, and send it to Henry at Ole's carbs in San Bruno. There are MANY items that need attention in these old q-jets. Henry comes highly recommended by Lars.

I would scrounge up the parts, and send it to Henry at Ole's carbs in San Bruno. There are MANY items that need attention in these old q-jets. Henry comes highly recommended by Lars.

Your right Jeff I may just wait in till I lay the car up in a couple of months and send it to Henry.

This all started when I switched into "While I'm At It" mode when I took the air cleaner off to remove the rest of the after market cruse control.:lol:

According to Lars, it is the same set up as the 68 Camaro. Parts are available from our own Brutal 64 at Classic Industries.