Need Engine Help!

SmokinBBC

Ok...I guess it's my turn.

Went to go for a spin. Haven't started it for 2 days.

I check the oil...up to the full line as always.

Pump it 3 times. Turn on the ignition and it cranks strong as always...wants to start so I give it a LITTLE gas...this kicks it in to about 1500 revs and starts it. Then it drops down to about 500/600 and the car starts. It usually takes a while to get a smooth idle..so I let it idle low and give it a little gas as it wants to die out.

Then it really starts to shake like it's only running on a couple of cyliders....so I shut it down and pop the hood.

Gas puddled on the intake, and all over the carb/side top, etc. Rear top bowl gasket is soaked. I figure maybe junk in the needle seat/float problem...no biggee. I'll go in and check it tomorrow. BTW, I have a carb heat shield and it is dry around the carb fuel intake line and there is no fuel dripping from the line.

So I look down into the intake manifold and it is LOADED with fuel. So I get a couple of rags down there to soak it up. I pull the plugs and of course they are soaked....I figure I'll let it dry overnight.

So before I leave it for the night, I check the oil again. It is halfway between the emtpty/full line.....ahhhh shit! It has always been at full since it has been rebuilt. I check under the car, all the gaskets, around the engine, the oil pressure line, the pressure guage.....no trace of oil.

Where the F___ is the qt. of oil? Is it possible the gas washed down the cyl walls and the oil pumped up past the rings? How can I see this? Should I wait until morning and see if the oil drains back down to the pan?

Damn this sucks.
SOB!

I feel your pain!:smash::smash: Check the oil in the morning and see if it comes back up to normal. It might be sitting in the engine cavities. Smell your oil in the morning to make sure that the gas hasn't contaminated the oil.

I feel your pain!:smash::smash: Check the oil in the morning and see if it comes back up to normal. It might be sitting in the engine cavities. Smell your oil in the morning to make sure that the gas hasn't contaminated the oil.

Ya, talk about dumb luck.

The oil is 20/50..very thick. I checked it a few moments ago and it has come up to 3/4. The engine was still cold when I shut it down.

There is no smell of gas on the stick. There's no gas smell in the oil fill. But I am probably going to change it and the filter as well. With as much gas that dumped in the intake, I don't see how some hasn't entered the oil.

Plugs are fouled..,:clobbered:.need to get a carb kit since the bowl gasket is soaked:crap:

Didn't get a chance to work on it yesterday...3 soccer friendlies 100 miles away took the whole day and I was too tired to even....well you know.

I pulled the carb and checked things out. Everything was in place and looked normal. I did find some dirt/junk mixed with gas at the bottom of the float bowl, so I cleaned that up and blew out all the passages. I did find some crap on the filter hole threads which I cleaned up...almost looks likes pipe thread compound, but I don't think it is. It was kind of flakey and grayish. But there was none of it in the needle passage. Carb is back together with new gaskets.

I've got the new plugs in, so I'm going to put the carb back on and give it a whirl....BTW, Oil has returned all way to full line with no gas smell.

I was almost expecting to see some heavy crap blocking the passages. I even dreamed that the the filter blew apart and pieces were blocking the needle/seat:lol:

Wonder what happened...maybe to much pump pressure on start-up caused a flow (like a siphon) which didn't allow the needle to seat????? WTF:crylol:

What kind of carb?? pump?? and is the radiator looking decent??

U sure the oil is ok with that being no coolent in it???

plugs can be easliy cleaned with carb cleaner, blown off with airjet, and back in service....but first, kill any fuel pumps, and leave the plugs off and crank engine but good with no one home to air/blow out the cylinders.....

put er back together, and get back on the top questions....

:tomato::suicide:

What kind of carb?? pump?? and is the radiator looking decent??

U sure the oil is ok with that being no coolent in it???

plugs can be easliy cleaned with carb cleaner, blown off with airjet, and back in service....but first, kill any fuel pumps, and leave the plugs off and crank engine but good with no one home to air/blow out the cylinders.....

put er back together, and get back on the top questions....

:tomato::suicide:

Qjet . Stock mechanical Pump. No coolant in oil.

I already hit the ignition kill switch and cranked it. Don't know how to lock out a mechanical pump...unless leave fuel line hose disconnected and run a hose to a bucket.

Started it and it ran/idle as it usually does. Warmed it up to op temp. No fuel leaks or dumping as far as I can tell. Revved up as it usually does. Shut it off for 10 minutes and restarted it...no problems. Not running rich to the point of eyes burning.

Still can't fiugure out what happened. I have flooded carbs before, but never to the point where I had a fuel lake on the intake. How would the fuel come out to the intake if it was not leaking through the fuel inlet line? Through the gasket? Only thing I can figure. Or perhaps the air bleeds on top?