Horse power an day to day driving

zz71s

Dreaming about doing a head and cam swap this winter
At what horse power level does HP and tork start to be a problem in day to day driving
Like traction leaving stop lights things like this
I have M21 and 336 thinking about changing to 355s

Last edited:
At what horse power level does HP and tork start to be a problem in day to day driving

I have 3.55s in mine and I have close to or a little over 500 hp. It is a daily driver. Dual Quads and 30 30 cam in a 400 with a M20. On the HWY it gets 17 mpg. Around town it is not that good, but it is very drivable. I hope this helps.:D

Sounds like my '72 when I got it....all of 14 on the hwy, and around town maybe 10-12 if that....same muncie and 336 and L48 engine....

now with a ~400 hp roller 355 the thing pulls 22.222 mpg at 90 mph on the freeway....with a 200 4r lockup automatic...same rear....

just with the DPFI alone on the L48 engine with Muncie and same 336 rear....

it got 24 mpg....

so in this daze of hi gas prices, well....I sorta wish I had that mild cam and lower compression....

oh well....

:pprrtt:

You didn't say what engine/heads/cam you have now so it's difficult to say.... but generally: a simple head/intake/cam swap will not make the car undriveable unless you select a too hot cam. Overcamming an engine is very high on the list of commonly made mistakes.... if not number one.....

I have 355 HP zz4
I have not decided on heads or cam
Any recomendations for cam amd heads
The car will be driven hard on the street

Last edited:
I have 355 HP zz4
I have not decided on heads or cam
Any recomendations for cam amd heads

ZZ4 is a GM crate motor, about the same as what I have, just you need add DPFI of some style to it, but ZZ4 comes with aluminum heads I HEAR they are same as the L98 heads #113 casting......my cam is slight warmer than ZZ4, but along the same lines really, my engine was built some 11+ years ago and so precedes the ZZ4 availability by several years.....

I think that with my 200 4r automatic I built myself here in the garage, and the 336 rear and '92 vette rims 17x9,5 with 275/50/17 rubber in rear, 255 up front, that I get 22.222 mpg at 90 mph cruise, it's not so awful evil as i'ts supposed to push nearly 400 hp.....

I do wish I had less cam for better fuel economy, but then I'd have to drop it down a good bit and dunno what to do then....

not going to save enough fuel to make it worth it, is my conclusion....
so your ZZ4 cam is perfect, IMO....

Man you are not kidding about gas prices
But the car is just a toy we only drive it on the weekends so saving fuel is not such a big deal
I an really trying to find out how much horse power can you really use on the street with stock size tires and stock drive line

I have read about the zz4 with after market heads making 440 hp and similar tork numbers

Man you are not kidding about gas prices
But the car is just a toy we only drive it on the weekends so saving fuel is not such a big deal
I an really trying to find out how much horse power can you really use on the street with stock size tires and stock drive line

I have read about the zz4 with after market heads making 440 hp and similar tork numbers

I have had a ZZ9 cam in the engine for some 11+ years now....it was/is? a product out of TPIS do a search, the specs are not all that much more than your cam....supposedly my 355 makes 425 ft lbs, and so shy of 400 hp, I suspect even with the LT1 DPFI modified mani on it...

how much on the street is practical.....your choice, obviously....

ME....i'ts plenty at the ~400 supposed HP and 22.222222 mpg at 90 mph cruise over Florida flatlands....now if city driving really short runs to the beer store, or Lowes Depot or some such...well the MPG sux....about 15 or so....

can the car spin tires most anytime.....yeh, but not in overdrive....

:eek:

HP and torque are never a problem in day to day driving, even with 2,000 HP.

However, traction might begin to be a problem!! ;)