Dist/ ignition problems?

enkeivette

So I've had this rough acceleration problem since before the DC cruise and I still can't figure out what it is. Since then I've replaced the leaking head gaskets, the leaking intake manifold gaskets, the cap and rotor (the contacts were all burned up, I was hoping that would have been the problem) but it's still there.

Under light throttle at around 2500 rpm, it feels like there's a misfire. Not quite as bad as a misfire but it does make my knock sensor go off. Any ideas? I've gone through all of the spark plug wires, they're all between 50-150 ohms, there are no burn through spots, all of the plugs are new... not sure what else there is to check. Timing is at 15 initial, 33 total.

Any ideas?! Two things I noticed that are sort of strange, when I replaced the rotor today, I noticed that the mechanism has some play before the dist spring tension (meaning, I can jostle the rotor back and forth a bit before I put tension on the dist springs) is this normal? Also, I've shocked myself a few times holding the top of the dist while twisting it to set the timing, is this normal?

Last edited:
So I've had this rough acceleration problem since before the DC cruise and I still can't figure out what it is. Since then I've replaced the leaking head gaskets, the leaking intake manifold gaskets, the cap and rotor (the contacts were all burned up, I was hoping that would have been the problem) but it's still there.

Under light throttle at around 2500 rpm, it feels like there's a misfire. Not quite as bad as a misfire but it does make my knock sensor go off. Any ideas? I've gone through all of the spark plug wires, they're all between 50-150K ohms, there are no burn through spots, all of the plugs are new... not sure what else there is to check. Timing is at 15 initial, 33 total.

Any ideas?! Two things I noticed that are sort of strange, when I replaced the rotor today, I noticed that the mechanism has some play before the dist spring tension (meaning, I can jostle the rotor back and forth a bit before I put tension on the dist springs) is this normal? Also, I've shocked myself a few times holding the top of the dist while twisting it to set the timing, is this normal?

Bring it by Weds. That is not right. No slack, and no shocks. The wires are leaking, or the voltage is seeking the path of least resistence because the plug/s are broken. The rotor may also be 180* out of phase.

Thanks Bird, I'd like that.

They're the MSD 8.5s, thought they were supposed to be good stuff. I'm going to try a fat ground strap going to both of the heads tomorrow, I'm thinking that if there is a better ground the voltage won't find a need to make it's way to the ground through my arm. If that doesn't work I'll try some new wires, any brand suggestions? Maybe something super thick like those Huge Taylor wires. It's only an MSD HEI, don't even have an ignition box...

Don't think it's 180 out, the car drives fine other than this rough spot. It even had this problem on dyno day, and I've had the dist out and back in at least 5 times since then.

Last edited:
What is your plug gap? Hei's originally ran at .045". That's fine with low 8.5 to 1 compression, but with HP comp, .035" or even .030" can become necessary.

Compression is now lower at 9:1, plug gap is out of the box for an Autolite 8923. (Think that's the part number) Should be around .042 if memory serves.

Compression is now lower at 9:1, plug gap is out of the box for an Autolite 8923. (Think that's the part number) Should be around .042 if memory serves.

My experience with plug gaps out of the box,is that they are all over the place,did you check them all???

Yeah, they were all consistent. I usually have pretty good luck with plug gaps.