Down shifting effects on drive line

zz71s

My brakes have been bad since i got the car
So I have been down shifting and using the engines compression to help slow down
what effects could this have on the drive line

Last edited:
I have always down shifted in manual cars to help slow them down and have never experienced any problems,and i have always beleived that you should raise the the engine rpm when down shifting so there is not as much shock to to the whole drive trane.
And from what i have read the only time you do damage when down shifting is if you down shift at too high of a speed and it locks up the rear tires,or if you wheel hop it.:push:

The zz4 has 10 to 1 compression ratio I get a little cherp when i let the clutch out at speed
Is this really causeing clutch wear

The zz4 has 10 to 1 compression ratio I get a little cherp when i let the clutch out at speed
Is this really causeing clutch wear

You need to blip the throttle so you can match the engine rpm and that will probably stop,unless you are going to like 1st at 50-60 mph. what happens when you chirp the tires, you are putting stress on the whole system and it can be a shock to the u-joints.
Really need Howards input on this,he is a road racer and could give good info on this.

You need to match the RPM to the road speed. As kwpolt said, it really puts a load on the driveline- overload the u-joints in the driveshaft OR the half-shafts and it'll get spendy.

You need to match the RPM to the road speed. As kwpolt said, it really puts a load on the driveline- overload the u-joints in the driveshaft OR the half-shafts and it'll get spendy.

That's why I pop it out of gear when I'm coming (normal) to a stop. Brakes are much cheaper than driveline parts. Of, course I have the huge drum brakes on mine that last years and years even doing this.:tomato: