C-4 A/C blower in a C-3

big2bird

Charter Member, Founder Bird-Run, Cruise-In Bird-R
Anybody got a good pattern for the required spacer? Got a better design. I need to do this. I'm tired of barely adequate.:skeptic:

Anybody got a good pattern for the required spacer? Got a better design. I need to do this. I'm tired of barely adequate.:skeptic:

I just knocked a hole in 3/4 ply and sketched the outline and hole placement....mine is FUGLY looking, but pretty well hidden BTW, the swap about doubles the airflow.....

but better YET, is to pull the entire housing and reshape that to make the entire blower wheel work with that extra 3/4 inch that is shrouded being removed, and no spacer.....IF I ever have to remove that housing as I did once, I will of course do that, BUT as we know it's a super PIA to do that....:flash::crutches:

all I had to cut with was a sawzall, hense the fugly spacer, me lazy so didn't even bother to paint it, in keeping with being a rat rod.....

ALSO upgrade your ground and main HS power wiring not to overlook that fuse for 30 amps on the driver's fender.....

I used like 8 ga wire for mine....only have about a 1/2 volt drop to the motor directly instead of the 2 volts I had previously.....course mine was a '72 so YMMV.....barely 11.5 volts on high speed don't cut it....

:crutches:

I have a spacer. The thickness is pretty critical. You want the edge of the squirrel cage as close to the firewall as possible (without rubbing).

I'll try to post the drawing this weekend.

I have a spacer. The thickness is pretty critical. You want the edge of the squirrel cage as close to the firewall as possible (without rubbing).

I'll try to post the drawing this weekend.

Thanks Larry.

Excellent. Any suggestion of a good material? I'm not to jazzed about the plywood idea.;)

Bubba loves to mod his Vette with plywood and MDF:eek:

I'll see if I can find something at work, let you know on Monday. You really have to contort the air tube that goes to the brushes but it will work (the vent hole in the motor is in a different place). I may be able to come up with a pigtail for the C4 motor also.

EDIT: The extra hole in the bottom is a 1/4" hole for clearance with the little bump that is in the housing

OH GOD do NOT USE MDF that shit will fall apart at the first hint of water....wont last the first rainstorm......

I agree plywood is not the coolest, but I used CDX rated ply for the glues...

only 3/4 inch on my car was damn close on the fan, problem is that is about the only AFFORDABLE and handy solution as buying a length of PVC from Lowes Depot and splicing it is about 35 bux or close enough....and then you gotta glue it and work it ....PIA to say the least, and for some reasons most PVC plumbing cements really don't hold the best on that material...I call it PVC but as usual, something different about it.....damnit....

:smash::eek:

Excellent. Any suggestion of a good material? I'm not to jazzed about the plywood idea.;)

Best idea that I've heard is to go to Home Depot and buy a plastic cutting board. Good to work with material, smooth and two layers are between 5/8 and 3/4 inches. Granted, not as good as plywood....:D

Best idea that I've heard is to go to Home Depot and buy a plastic cutting board. Good to work with material, smooth and two layers are between 5/8 and 3/4 inches. Granted, not as good as plywood....:D

Yeh, too late I read that AFTER I did mine....some day gotta pull that puppy outta there and glass it in proper....maybe tmrw, maybe not....ho hum.....

:stirpot:

A scale drawing and a dimensioned drawing (.pdf) of the spacer are in the Downloads section under "Templates & Designs"

The spacer is going to be about 5/8 to 3/4 thick. Here is the drawing:

44894b27808c31.jpg
Thanks thats a great download just what I was looking for.
I am going to try to have one built out of alum......

Hey Clarence, glad some of us have MONEY....jeebus, bet it's well over 100 bux....

I found it easier to just use the motor/cage and sketch the holes and outlines for the thing, and drill/cut from there....me being simple and all....

:bounce: