For Bob K.

big2bird

Charter Member, Founder Bird-Run, Cruise-In Bird-R
I had one of these, (well, the next years model), when I was 21. Sold it for $600. :cry:Now they are $35,000+. :crutches:

3488f097114ac6.jpg
3488f0ab8cf4e2.jpg
3488f0aba46edb.jpg

Oh man, I had a '59 100-6 2-seater when I was 17. Cool car, with the twin carb 235" 6 popper & aluminum body it could blow the doors offa those MGAs & TR2s & 3s. Outhandle the Chevys & Fords in the canyons by a long shot, and give 'em a good run for the money on the flats. Mine was even about this color originally, but since the paint was bad, I painted it turquoise metalflake w/ cream insets (I was 17!). A real chick magnet, too. Got more babes with that car than I ever have with any other vehicle. Probably had more fun in it too. I sold it to buy my first motorcycle, so I don't regret that, but my Corvette is the car I bought to replace the Healy.
Wow, that's nice to see, brings back good memories.

Ya know, TT, "back in the day" in America, if you wanted sporty performance of any type other than just brute power, there were not many options other than European vehicles (bikes or cars). Porsches & Fiats were around, but the British cars & bikes were by far the most popular. There was enough of a dealer network & suppliers that it wasn't hard to own & work on one. Yeah we all whined about Lucas & SU the like, but hey, that was part of what made them special. Any old farm boy could work on a Chevy, but it took skill & finesse to run a British car. And it was really fun to overtake those ol' Chevys and leave 'em in the dust on a twisty canyon road on a summer night....Drop a few firecrackers in the road for 'em as we disappeared around the next curve.....

John

Oh man, I had a '59 100-6 2-seater when I was 17. Cool car, with the twin carb 235" 6 popper & aluminum body it could blow the doors offa those MGAs & TR2s & 3s. Outhandle the Chevys & Fords in the canyons by a long shot, and give 'em a good run for the money on the flats. Mine was even about this color originally, but since the paint was bad, I painted it turquoise metalflake w/ cream insets (I was 17!). A real chick magnet, too. Got more babes with that car than I ever have with any other vehicle. Probably had more fun in it too. I sold it to buy my first motorcycle, so I don't regret that, but my Corvette is the car I bought to replace the Healy.

Ya know, TT, "back in the day" in America, if you wanted sporty performance of any type other than just brute power, there were not many options other than European vehicles (bikes or cars). Porsches & Fiats were around, but the British cars & bikes were by far the most popular. There was enough of a dealer network & suppliers that it wasn't hard to own & work on one. Yeah we all whined about Lucas & SU the like, but hey, that was part of what made them special. Any old farm boy could work on a Chevy, but it took skill & finesse to run a British car. And it was really fun to overtake those ol' Chevys and leave 'em in the dust on a twisty canyon road on a summer night....Drop a few firecrackers in the road for 'em as we disappeared around the next curve.....

John

That's exactly the way it was.Thanks for that John. My best memories were in my 3000, a 3 liter, when the 240Z's came out(2.4 liter). That old car blew their doors off their shiney new car every time. Muscle cars stomped all over me, but in the twisties, I left them behind.
Ditto for the poon tang. Mine was black, and I thought I could never afford to restore it, so off it went.:bonkers::cry::cry::cry::cry:

John

That's exactly the way it was.Thanks for that John. My best memories were in my 3000, a 3 liter, when the 240Z's came out(2.4 liter). That old car blew their doors off their shiney new car every time. Muscle cars stomped all over me, but in the twisties, I left them behind.
Ditto for the poon tang. Mine was black, and I thought I could never afford to restore it, so off it went.:bonkers::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Poon Tang interesting is you need an expensive shiny sports cars over there but here all you need is a $10 bill taped to your forehead.
av-11672.gif

I have an old friend I went to HS with, but didn't know him back then....so he gets outta the Air Farce and vietnam, and does the family gig, and had a couple of ice cream parlors, closed them down after loosing a ton of money, and then went got a wild hair....

bought a MIG welder, stuck it in Anna's garage, bought a old MG, tore out all the rusty metal down to just the tranny tunnel was only thing holding it together, ordered all the parts from England, and proceeded to learn to TIG weld by putting the car back together.....he rebuild the driver train himself, and then painted it this silly stupid yellow, but the paint looked like shit and still does, he don't care...it's really really bad.....

so he packs up all his shit in the car, suffed to the gills, tools, clothing camping gear, the works......and

having done this in Wash DC suburbs, he drives this Brit POS mobile to....

the Alaska Pipeline arctic circle national park sign there one August years ago, and has the pix to prove it....comes back home via the southern route throug Ca, and back via I10 and up to DC again

some kind of long trip but the says the car never missed a lick, but at my insistance I think he pretty well De Lucased it before leaving....

NOW, the car is parked in a old flower mill he bought in Williamsport Md, just north off the main drag...about 3 miles off the I70 freeway....

now this mill had a LONG and sordid past, biker bar, whorehouse, bar, restaurant, dance hall, pool hall, and has a very old staircase looks like a western bar inside, straight off Gunsmoke or something....

Linda and I have slept in the bordello room many a time .....

do a google map/search on it, and find his web site it's called Kemps Mill in Williamsport Maryland.....bet the map is interesting and the aerial shots too....wonder if they did a street drive by on it yet>>>

:yahoo::yahoo:

yeah i like those big healeys........although i have never had an XK120-150 either???/ maybe after the 37 ford.....