Quite side pipes without restricting flow a lot

Yellow73SB

Last edited:
Quiet.....

anyway, nothing proper available, I'm building some myself. 3" eprf. tubing, smooth entry and exit. Hopefully it'll work out okay and be slightly less noisy than with the boat mufflers

The Hooker Maxflows are not restrictive and not all that expensive, $150... ---> they're a little loud for street driving but that shouldn't be an issue for you....

For some reason I keep thinking I spelled quite wrong, good thing I'm going back to school in a few weeks

One of those wonderful English language things. The way you spelled it, it's like saying, "That's quite a thing". What you really wanted to say was "Holy crap, that exhaust is quiet"

As you can see in my similar topic, I'm wrestling this issue too. If weather allows it I'm drilling my endcaps tonight, I'll make a pre and post video and a 'butt-o-meter' guestimate of possible HP gains. I'll be measuring exact gains in august by the way.

Want a set of custom inserts? I could build another set, they'll be loud though!

I have those reverse flow mufflers and with holes drilled in them they are perfect. But I had to add packing to them and it really restricts flow alot

I wonder how much quieter if I ran the 4" pipe that had outlets like a tuned pipe on an RC car

redir

Yeah but it won't be expanded or anything, I think it may help quiet it down. I'll have like 4 2" outlets or something

I really feel like trying it for some reason lol. I think I should be able to get 4" tubing pretty cheap from the exhaust shop down the road from our shop

It makes the RC cars a lot more quiter, it will look kind of ugly though on my car lol

Last edited:
The reverse flow mufflers are the worst, anything should be better than those.... free flowing mufflers like the SweetThunder inserts or the Maxflows are less than $150, I think the Maxflows are like $129 or so.... not worth messing with the reverse flows.... seriously: I'd just weld up the holes you cut in there and sell them for $60 or so... many want their sidepipes quiet and don't care about performance as much.... that way you're only out $80 for the Maxflows.... my2c

The reverse flow mufflers are the worst, anything should be better than those.... free flowing mufflers like the SweetThunder inserts or the Maxflows are less than $150, I think the Maxflows are like $129 or so.... not worth messing with the reverse flows.... seriously: I'd just weld up the holes you cut in there and sell them for $60 or so... many want their sidepipes quiet and don't care about performance as much.... that way you're only out $80 for the Maxflows.... my2c

I ran reverse flows flipped so they didnt reverse the flow and I drilled holes in the end caps and ran no packing and it made more power than open mufflers but it was still too loud

Just for my understanding: you flipped them and then drilled the caps at the exhaust tip end (original front cap) or at the collector side (original end cap)?

How many holes did you drill? Two, four, eight?

Oh yeah: how did you get those darned things out?! :censored:

I thought we all knew that STS baffles are the answer for sidepipes. They produce almost the same hp/tq as open headers but are considerably quieter. I believe they weigh about 6 pounds per side.

Ofcourse STS is great, but modding what you already have is fun too :) Besides: there's most likely noone to sell my mufflers to in my country and abroad shipping costs will make people buy new.

@Yellow: thanks!