Well, Kevin just missed it. 5.8

big2bird

Charter Member, Founder Bird-Run, Cruise-In Bird-R
I was just backing the Vette out of the tranny shop, when a 5.8 quake hit. Car bounced all over the place for 30 seconds. The truck on the rack next to me scared the s*** out of me, and Mama was in the supermarket, and got nailed by a ceiling tile. Bruised her arm pretty good. Lost 2 nick nacks at home, but that was it. The 38 is still on jack stands.:clobbered:

You can run from a tornado, seek shelter from a hurricane, climb rocks & trees to escape a flood, dig a hole to avoid bullets, fight to keep from geting robbed, drop to the ground when lightning gets too close, make a snow cave in a blizzard.

But there's nothing--nothing--you can do to avoid an earthquake. It's just plum scary when the earth starts shaking, you don't know if it'll be a quick quiver or if the ground will open up and swallow you. I experienced a few in my days in SoCal, and never ever got used to them. I'll take tornados & blizzards any day, thank you.

Glad you & yours are OK, Bird.

Hey Bird, I'm telling you, There is a rain cloud following us Missouri guys. Looks like Mother Nature is right behind Kevin. :sos: He's not back here yet is he????

Bullshark

I was just backing the Vette out of the tranny shop, when a 5.8 quake hit. Car bounced all over the place for 30 seconds. The truck on the rack next to me scared the s*** out of me, and Mama was in the supermarket, and got nailed by a ceiling tile. Bruised her arm pretty good. Lost 2 nick nacks at home, but that was it. The 38 is still on jack stands.:clobbered:

Yea, a pretty good shaker. Talked to my Dad he said it felt like the 1933 Long Beach quake.

Born and raised here, love watching people during and after a quake. :lol:

Last edited:
LOS ANGELES (AP) - A strong earthquake shook Southern California on Tuesday, causing buildings to sway and triggering some precautionary evacuations. There were no immediate reports of damage or injuries. The jolt was felt from Los Angeles to San Diego, across the border in Tijuana, Mexico and slightly in Las Vegas.

The 11:42 a.m. quake was initially estimated at 5.8 by the U.S. Geological Survey but was revised downward to 5.4. More than a dozen aftershocks quickly followed, the largest estimated at magnitude-3.8.

Democratic presidential candidate Barak Obama's campaign issued a statement, blaming global warming and the Bush Administration's failure to properly address it. He then praised Obama for intervening and stopping the quake from being more destructive.

"This is clearly another indication of the Bush Administration's failed policies regarding global warming. Senator Obama was greatly moved by the suffering this has caused in Los Angeles raised His Mighty hands Heavenward and commanded the Earth to stop shaking", said a campaign spokesman.

"We are pleased to report that from Barack's lips to G-d's ear has once again worked for the benefit of the American People"

:tomato::tomato::smash:

LOS ANGELES (AP) - A strong earthquake shook Southern California on Tuesday, causing buildings to sway and triggering some precautionary evacuations. There were no immediate reports of damage or injuries. The jolt was felt from Los Angeles to San Diego, across the border in Tijuana, Mexico and slightly in Las Vegas.

The 11:42 a.m. quake was initially estimated at 5.8 by the U.S. Geological Survey but was revised downward to 5.4. More than a dozen aftershocks quickly followed, the largest estimated at magnitude-3.8.

Democratic presidential candidate Barak Obama's campaign issued a statement, blaming global warming and the Bush Administration's failure to properly address it. He then praised Obama for intervening and stopping the quake from being more destructive.

"This is clearly another indication of the Bush Administration's failed policies regarding global warming. Senator Obama was greatly moved by the suffering this has caused in Los Angeles raised His Mighty hands Heavenward and commanded the Earth to stop shaking", said a campaign spokesman.

"We are pleased to report that from Barack's lips to G-d's ear has once again worked for the benefit of the American People"

:tomato::tomato::smash:

Ha!!!!!! Good one!:hunter:

Well, at least you didn't get hurt.... did they fix the tranny ?

Pulled the pan for peace of mind. Zero dust,black,chips,etc. Just changed the fluid and filter, and good to go. Now, to figure out the tranny cooler the best. I'm torn between humongous between A/C and rad, or smaller across rad bottom.

Hey Bird, I'm telling you, There is a rain cloud following us Missouri guys. Looks like Mother Nature is right behind Kevin. :sos: He's not back here yet is he????

Bullshark

Sometime tonight I imagine.

Now, to figure out the tranny cooler the best. I'm torn between humongous between A/C and rad, or smaller across rad bottom.

Only if there was no other choice would I restrict air flow to the radiator....that's why I mentioned the cooler with temp switch and fans, you can place that anywhere where you find space.... maybe under the radiator expansion tank on the passenger side fender ?? I am thinking about relocating my battery here....

Jeff,

Was there any major damage around, glad to here no one is seriously injured! When was the last time a quake hit Ca.?

Hey Jeff that was my first quake since I moved to Cali last year.I ran to the garage to check on the Vettes.All 3 were safe and sound than I went looking for the wife.....boy was she pissed......I should have looked for her first:eek:h:

Hey Jeff that was my first quake since I moved to Cali last year.I ran to the garage to check on the Vettes.All 3 were safe and sound than I went looking for the wife.....boy was she pissed......I should have looked for her first:eek:h:

Uh, yeh. You'll learn.:flash:

That was our first one since 94 or so. 5.4. That's 1/10th of the Northridge, but still got MY attention I tell ya.

Bullshark

:bump:I'm in wichita KS :quote: and it has rained and stormed on me all day :rain: