Drilling holes in reverse flow mufflers

Worship79

As things have settled down a little and having decided to put aside my next engine upgrade for a while I thought I might do some low-budget tinkering.

Besides finishing up the sound inside (like soldering the new pioneer head-unit + speakers I bought 1,5 years ago...), I thought I might tweak the sound outside too and perhaps gain a few horsies while I'm at it. :trumpet:

That's to say: the dyno operator of my most recent, rather disappointing dyno run (205rwhp/305rwtq) said the reverse flows I'm using are way too restrictive. :crap:

Though I do have the cash for some max-flows or STS baffles, I'd like to play with these reverse flows first. :bounce:

I was told I could drill holes to improve flow and sound. How does this work? Would drilling front and endcap suffice or are there baffles in between to drill too?

Edit: Should the carb/timing be readjusted after drilling the holes?

Last edited:
The hooker inserts are junk. I'm going to build some myself most likely.

The mufflers I got for Xs car are way too ooud (4"open)

Drill the end caps, or cheap out and buy some augers from speedwaymotors and put those in there.

Just the end caps? Sounds easy enough (famous last words ;))... now if this blasted thunderstorm would pass I could actually get something done today. :shocking:

Woohoo! Got one pipe off and the muffler slid right out... Now: how large and many a holes should I drill? My largest metal bit is 7mm, but I was thinking along the line of 10 or 12 mm per hole, making 3 holes per end initially.

I just went for it: three 10mm holes per cap. Putting it back in normally first, then reverse to hear if any difference. Pass. side is untouched for comparison :)

Woow!! Awesome sound improvement! :yahoo:

The sound is much darker now, more growling than before too. It's the way I always thought a 'vette should sound :devil:

I'll upload two videos or soundfiles the before and after effect later this weekend.

Yes, well looks like we're going to have to wait a while... :mad:

regen.jpg

Video is up!

Me likes :yahoo: Runs like crap now, but I don't even mind really :amused: ;)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReOEw6WYFiQ[/ame]