Stock 81 tranny cooler

big2bird

Charter Member, Founder Bird-Run, Cruise-In Bird-R
Okay. Sat I found my weakest link. Darrow had a great mountain route picked out , and we all hit it hard. I was taking up the rear of the pack, when I saw my smoke screen. My 700-R got so hot, it puked out 2 qts on the ex. pipes thru the overflow, and I had to retreat, while the others carried on. (I really thought it was on fire for awhile):censored:
I want to keep the spare, and it is bone stock, other than very minor mods. What are my options? Anyone stuff a good sized one in a stock 81?

Just a thought- a 700 does it's best cooling when the convertor is locked. You were pulling hard, probably not in 4th. Does the convertor lock in anything other than 4th?

Okay. Sat I found my weakest link. Darrow had a great mountain route picked out , and we all hit it hard. I was taking up the rear of the pack, when I saw my smoke screen. My 700-R got so hot, it puked out 2 qts on the ex. pipes thru the overflow, and I had to retreat, while the others carried on. (I really thought it was on fire for awhile):censored:
I want to keep the spare, and it is bone stock, other than very minor mods. What are my options? Anyone stuff a good sized one in a stock 81?

When you came in with all that smoke, I thought you tail feathers were on fire.:smash:

On my '79 the tranny cooler was right in front of the radiator, the previous owner installed it. With the aluminum radiator I did not notice the engine running too hot but I'd rather try to find a better spot for the trans cooler... well, with the TKO600 I eliminated the need for a trans cooler alltogether... :bounce:
How about a trans cooler with its own fans and temp switches ??

On my '79 the tranny cooler was right in front of the radiator, the previous owner installed it. With the aluminum radiator I did not notice the engine running too hot but I'd rather try to find a better spot for the trans cooler... well, with the TKO600 I eliminated the need for a trans cooler alltogether... :bounce:
How about a trans cooler with its own fans and temp switches ??

I looked Karsten. You can only use the lower 6" or so. There is, however, a full 2" between the rad and the A/C cond.:beer:

Talking to my transmission guru, he said the plate type cooler is far superior. Comments?

If you are serious about a cooler, here it is.
Plate type with threaded ports so you can use good crimped hoses if desired.
Has an integral cold oil bypass design so an external is not usually necessary.
See if you can top this rating for the price.
40,000 GVW rating, 45,000 BTU rating

Just towed a car on a trailer almost 4000 miles in the last couple of weeks with no probs.

http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/m...9-1&Category_Code=tru-cool-hd&Product_Count=4

Just towed a car on a trailer almost 4000 miles in the last couple of weeks with no probs.

http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/m...9-1&Category_Code=tru-cool-hd&Product_Count=4

Thanks Noonie. That's a hell of a cooler for the $$

Thanks Noonie. That's a hell of a cooler for the $$

I like that one.:thumbs: