My Toyota 5-speed

BangkokDean

A little different from what others have done and i am very pleased with the results.
I used a Toyota V6 5 speed trans (V6 2WD R150 $600) 0.82 OD, in new condition. Made a 3/4 inch steel adapter plate to fit my 4 speed bell housing machined a new bronze pilot bushing, installed a Toyota clutch plate, used the stock pressure plate and throw out bearing and forks that fit perfect to he Toyota throwout sleeve. I understand that there is an adapter available from Advanced Adapters. Then modified the trans mount and cut the drive shaft to for the Toyota rear yoke. The shifter was in the correct location just centered so I heated and bent the stock Toyota shifter to come out he stock location. I then cut off the Corvette shifter, machined a sleeve the slipped over the cut off Toyota shifter rod and the Corvette handle, pined them both and welded them together. The shift pattern plate I had acid etched a plate of stainless steel then polished the raised shift pattern and powder coated it black so It looks stock

v62wd_500.jpg

5speed4.jpg

5speed3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v112/deanscorvettecoupe/red%2081/IMG_0025.jpg[/IMG
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v112/deanscorvettecoupe/red%2081/DSCN3317.jpg
IMG_0025.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like a very clean installation. Is the adapter plate really 3/4" steel?

Cool, sounds pretty stout.

I love toyotas pick ups, they're indestructable.

That is interesting, and cheap. You need to post the design details of the adapter plate and the pilot bushing :D

I'm going to see if I can find one. I can get one from a jeep but it has a tailshaft section for hookup to a transfer case, for the rest it's the same tranny.

That is interesting, and cheap. You need to post the design details of the adapter plate and the pilot bushing :D

I'm going to see if I can find one. I can get one from a jeep but it has a tail shaft section for hookup to a transfer case, for the rest it's the same tranny.

Sorry TT I did not think to make a permanent pattern for the adapter. But after I did all the work I found a place that sells everything needed for the swap:censored:.

http://www.advanceadapters.com

https://eshop.advanceadapters.com/commerce/ccc1266-toyota-r150f-26-r151f-transmissions.htm

Last edited:
Those use a toyo bellhousing, I'd rather use a GM blowproof. Still, that's a great price for all that stuff.

Now to find one of them toyo trannies.

Toyo Kogo? I helped a guy bolt a Mazda Toyo 5-speed up to Taurus SHO engine a while back for a RWD conversion into an Austin Healey. As I recall, the bell housing was part of the tranny casting?

EDIT: Nevermind, it just occured to me that you are abbreviating Toyota as Toyo.

Last edited:
Yes, had I thought of a offshore tranny I maybe have gone a 308 rear and that or similar .82 o/drive stick tranny, easier than the auto conversion was, for sure....

wonder if any of them 5 speeds have like a .68 or so overdrive ratio....

sometimes I wish I had a stick back in there, but maybe I shouldn't bother on account of weak knees....

:crutches::crutches:

Yes, had I thought of a offshore tranny I maybe have gone a 308 rear and that or similar .82 o/drive stick tranny, easier than the auto conversion was, for sure....

wonder if any of them 5 speeds have like a .68 or so overdrive ratio....

sometimes I wish I had a stick back in there, but maybe I shouldn't bother on account of weak knees....

:crutches::crutches:

Real sports cars have stick shifts and old men have autos.:pprrtt:

You could get the hydraulic clutch if your knees are weak.

The overdrive on my Keisler TKO is .68 as far as I remember, the step between 4th and 5th gear is very noticeable. A little less overdrive or a longer 4th gear would be nicer.
It's not annoying, just noticeable.

Toyo Kogo? I helped a guy bolt a Mazda Toyo 5-speed up to Taurus SHO engine a while back for a RWD conversion into an Austin Healey. As I recall, the bell housing was part of the tranny casting?

EDIT: Nevermind, it just occured to me that you are abbreviating Toyota as Toyo.

A Ford engine in a Healey?:suicide:

A Ford engine in a Healey?:suicide:

Way back in 79 I finished a 56 Healey for a girl friend- the old boy friend put in a 301 (283 bored to 4 inch), power glide-----and a 67 Vette IRS. He did a nice job. I finished it for her and that thing was damn fast and could keep up with me no matter what I did.
One time she was racing a friend of mine (70 Lt1 C3) --two way street-- and couldn't pass him on the left so she drove on the sidewalk to pass him. True story.:drink:

Last edited: