I am having a start up problem
When I start up the car it fires right up for a few minutes
and then dies
I am thinking I might want to get a hotter
coil maybe to get a hotter spark at start up

I have heard that a hotter coil may not have any effect because this may
be a urban ledgen and will have no effect on my start up problem

Thanks for any help

Ther can be a slight amount of truith to that, but I believe you are describing an ill adjusted choke. I would look at choke vane closure/gap/pull off, high idle,mechanism, etc.

I was thinking it might be a choke problem
So does anyone know how to adjust an eletric choke on a 770 holley

Last edited:
I am having a start up problem
When I start up the car it fires right up for a few minutes
and then dies
I am thinking I might want to get a hotter
coil maybe to get a hotter spark at start up

I have heard that a hotter coil may not have any effect because this may
be a urban ledgen and will have no effect on my start up problem

Thanks for any help

I spent 24 years in the ignition system business (as a designer), and we never used the term "hot coil" or "hot spark". It's like a "hot cam". Sounds neat, but doesn't mean anything without specs to document its performance.

unless the coil itself is bad I can't see where changing it to a different one is going to make any difference.
I just love the "theories" people come up with to justify spending money on useless stuff, like hi-flow waterpumps on stock, street-driven cars, "hotter coils", ...etc.
Kinda like those lovely aircooled brake lines :)

if you have fuel and air than the amount of spark produced by any standard coil is more than enough to cause combustion.
I forget where I saw it recently, but someone else was commenting on a similar scenario and as they put it (I loved this which is why I remembered the comment), it doesn't matter if you light the fuel/air mixture with a match or a flamethrower, it's still going to ignite the way way.

If you have trouble with the car starting THAN dying, your issue is elsewhere, as already mentioned very possibly the choke adjustment.
Other possibilities are:
big vacuum leak somewhere
very low float level
bad fuel delivery

If it restarts fine and than continues to run fine after restarting or when warmed up than eliminate the above three possibilities and concentrate on the choke.

unless the coil itself is bad I can't see where changing it to a different one is going to make any difference.
I just love the "theories" people come up with to justify spending money on useless stuff, like hi-flow waterpumps on stock, street-driven cars, "hotter coils", ...etc.
Kinda like those lovely aircooled brake lines :)

if you have fuel and air than the amount of spark produced by any standard coil is more than enough to cause combustion.
I forget where I saw it recently, but someone else was commenting on a similar scenario and as they put it (I loved this which is why I remembered the comment), it doesn't matter if you light the fuel/air mixture with a match or a flamethrower, it's still going to ignite the way way.

If you have trouble with the car starting THAN dying, your issue is elsewhere, as already mentioned very possibly the choke adjustment.
Other possibilities are:
big vacuum leak somewhere
very low float level
bad fuel delivery

If it restarts fine and than continues to run fine after restarting or when warmed up than eliminate the above three possibilities and concentrate on the choke.

What he said.:quote:

:wink: