Sun Scope HELP

Twin_Turbo

Der Maulwurf
I got an old sun scope to play with. I have a general idea of how to use it, but with all the old geezers here :D surely someone here knows how to operate one?
It's an SS80 model.

I used one about 35 years ago so I guess I'm one of the geezers you're referring to. :tomato: Not sure how much help I can be though. That was a looooong time ago.

I used one about 35 years ago so I guess I'm one of the geezers you're referring to. :tomato: Not sure how much help I can be though. That was a looooong time ago.

Newbie:tomato::fishing:

TT, I maybe able to help....but I need a couple pieces of information as what you have....take some pix like front panel, and the probe ends....

that tells me more than anything else....

we used to use a magnetic pickup on top of the early HEI units...or a probe on the coil negative.....

I use my really olde tyme Tektronics 453 still instead of any automotive scope, reads all the same to me.....

:thumbs:

Probe ends? I still have the HEI adapter for the Sun Scope I had- and 2 timing lights. No telling what else. I'll have to move that 20-ton press and look in the cabinet..

Here it is:

2488c28022b08b.jpg

The face plate is in German (not a problem)

Some kind of extention? No idea what for. It looks to be some kind of pickup, a magnetic trigger maybe? Maybe for distributors??
2488c267186804.jpg

I'm pretty sure this goes between a sparkplug to scope out the spark plug firing.
2488c2672bc63b.jpg

I think this is for scoping both a power source and soemthing else. The other side liies like ignition terminals, maybe for a coil??
2488c2673ef7cd.jpg

UHH....think you may scrounge something a bit......

NEWER

I haven't seen a 5" round CRT is SO long, DEJAVU all over again...

40 phreaking years......well 35 anyways.....early 70's.....

hopefully you can understand the scope function, but does it work at all?? let alone properly?? the screen should have a green trace/line across it when warmed up....

there should be a 'trigger threshold adjustment (pot) on front panel....

and a sweep speed, probably for 6&8 cyl but then the display would vary depending on the engine idle speed....obviously....

those probes, the one with the red cap looks like in the main spark coil wire to the dizzy....the other is a #1 plug trigger, you seem to know that ok....the other looks like it coupled around the coil exterior and picked up some inductive information....not sure there, forget already....

Like I said I have an old Tektronics antique enough to have Nuvister tubes in the input stage....and the rest is discreet transistor electronics, not a chip in the thing....work of ART on the assy of that thing.....amazing patience them gals had.....

I have to smile at the sheer dedication and craftsmanship that Hewlett Packard and Tektronics used to put in their gear....and NONE of it was cheep either....almost strictly .mil/airline/contractor/engineering lab gear....

TONS of it all OVER the Wash DC area......I used to tour the NOAA labs back when, and would have loved working there....but with no degree it was nearly impossible....any tech jobs were saved out for guys with .mil training in their resume'.....something I didn't have, but wanted badly....

:suicide::crutches:

It's fully functional, it has the trace line, all the settings work, the horizontal and vertical adjsutment work, the overlay function...everything.

Well, hook it up to an old breaker points car and see if it says anything intelligent.....

I question it's viability these daze with a newer tech car.....:shocking:

advice, don't hook up them spark wires with the engine running....

very old story worth a few laughs someday.....I was NOT the victim though....:shocking::shocking:

Here it is:

2488c28022b08b.jpg

The face plate is in German (not a problem)

Some kind of extention? No idea what for. It looks to be some kind of pickup, a magnetic trigger maybe? Maybe for distributors??
2488c267186804.jpg

I'm pretty sure this goes between a sparkplug to scope out the spark plug firing.
2488c2672bc63b.jpg

I think this is for scoping both a power source and soemthing else. The other side liies like ignition terminals, maybe for a coil??
2488c2673ef7cd.jpg

The last picture- the big lead goes in the coil wire at the dizzy end, the black and red are to the coil + and -. It will show the firing line, spark duration and dwell.
The second picture is a plug pickup as you guessed.
The first pic looks almost like an original HEI pickup, but I don't recall it having a spade terminal

On the front of the scope, one connector has a screw on plug with a single terminal- that's where these leads hook up

I know where they hook up, they only go on one way. I took them off just for the pics :)

I also got my hands on a complete sun alignment 'puter, turn tables and wheel adapters. Also looking at a gas analyzer. Already have a wide band tester. Maybe we'll need a chassis dyno too LOL

The big coil thing, there's not just the white cap on the end, there's also another lead on it, in the pic it's on the left. What's that for? It looks like it goes between the coil and coil wire at the dizzy end.

Hey Marck ,,,,,,,, shoot me an email

GEE

PS you can do some real fine diagnostic work with one of these

That's one of the reasons I got it, remember us talking a long time ago about a scope. Saw it for sale, couldn't let it slide :)

I'll drop you a mail.