New garage/shop is coming along...

justaguy10825

The new 1000 sq ft shop is coming along...25' x 40' with 10' ceilings so I will be able to install my 4 post lift... I'll be ready to start the interior shortly.. Going to insulate the heck out of it and sheet rock the entire inside... I have not made any decisions on the floor yet... Does anyone have any suggestions that won't break the bank? It is 1000 sq ft... THANKS!

GaragePictures7-21-08005b.jpg

GaragePictures7-21-08b007.jpg

looks good so far :D

Floor ? I just painted it with "garage floor epoxy" from HomeDepot, the brand is Behrs I believe, $25 a gallon, you probably need 3 gallons of that stuff.... I weld in my garage, I drop stuff, I pull hydr. jacks across the floor and this stuff has been holding up well for the past three years... I'll repaint it maybe this winter...

its GREAT to have a new shop, CONGRATS!!
I waited 30 years before being able to afford to build my dream shop,
but Ill point out something every guy quickly finds out......no matter what the size youll find its a bit smaller than IDEAL simply because you find stuff to put in all the floor space available over a year or two..

Last edited:
looks good so far :D

Floor ? I just painted it with "garage floor epoxy" from HomeDepot, the brand is Behrs I believe, $25 a gallon, you probably need 3 gallons of that stuff.... I weld in my garage, I drop stuff, I pull hydr. jacks across the floor and this stuff has been holding up well for the past three years... I'll repaint it maybe this winter...

Sounds pretty solid... I'll look into it. THANKS!

its GREAT to have a new shop, CONGRATS!!
I waited 30 years before being able to afford to build my dream shop,
but Ill point out something every guy quickly finds out......no matter what the size youll find its a bit smaller than IDEAL simply because you find stuff to put in all the floor space available over a year or two..

Thanks... & your right... It is going to fill up quick... I have lotsa cars & lotsa tools... We also have an attached two car garage that is going to belong to the wife so she will have a garage of her own to pile all the junk in... She may have a hard time figuring our how to get into mine with the retinal & finger print recognition scanners on the entry door… :D

Have a look at the shelf where they sell the paint that they mixed wrong - you'll find interior/exterior paint and sometimes epoxy.... I was lucky and found a gallon of this Behrs floor coating in dark grey for $5 - I bought that and another gallon white, once I mix the two gallons it'll be light grey and the perfect color for the garage floor :D

Anyways.... see if you can find a gallon for $5, color doesn't matter, just test it in a small area and see how you like it.

You'll need etching primer for the concrete and you should paint it before you get it all dirty and greasy.... this stuff works best on new and clean concrete.

Many have bitched about cheap epoxy coatings and how it flakes off and doesn't stick.....I wonder if those guys have painted over 20 year old oil soaked concrete ?? ??

Have a look at the shelf where they sell the paint that they mixed wrong - you'll find interior/exterior paint and sometimes epoxy.... I was lucky and found a gallon of this Behrs floor coating in dark grey for $5 - I bought that and another gallon white, once I mix the two gallons it'll be light grey and the perfect color for the garage floor :D

Anyways.... see if you can find a gallon for $5, color doesn't matter, just test it in a small area and see how you like it.

You'll need etching primer for the concrete and you should paint it before you get it all dirty and greasy.... this stuff works best on new and clean concrete.

Many have bitched about cheap epoxy coatings and how it flakes off and doesn't stick.....I wonder if those guys have painted over 20 year old oil soaked concrete ?? ??

Sounds like a great idea... I did not think about looking for the "Mixed wrong" buckets... I did plan on doing something with the floor before I moved the vehicles in... Just seemes easier to deal with it before I get the floor all greasy...

OK... Coming along... I have the main door installed and am about 85% done with the rough electrical work. I installed a sub-panel, recepticals about every 5 feet, 3 double recepticals in the ceiling, a 220(v) circuit for the air compressor and another 220(v) for the AC unit. I have installed a total of 12 recessed lighting fixtures. Six directly over the workbench and the other six in a single line between the door and workbench (about every 4 feet). The light closest to the door will be on a motion sensor so it comes on when the door opens. I will be installing the boxes for the main garage area this weekend. It will have a total of ten 8' double bulb florescent lights. They will set in rows of two from the front to back of the parking area, 5 rows deep..(a total of 20 bulbs)... I will also be installing the copper piping for the air line drops this weekend... I am going to have a total of 8 drops. Two in the ceiling (for pull down hoses) and two in each wall with one on each side of the main door. After that is done it is inspection time...and then onto the walls....

I do have a question for the pro's... My building is 25' wide... I want to reinforce the walls and rafters in such a way that I can fabricate a 4-way I-beam trolly to hang from the ceiling for pulling engines & picking up the heavy stuff.... Any suggestion on how to do it? I have some ideas floating around in my head but am not sure....

Thanks!
John

My honest opinion is to do what I did, go to a tool rental joint and see if they will sell you a engine hook with a 5' boom on it, mine breaks down and stacks on a cart to take almost zero room....yet I can get a 350 chebby over the transom of a 22' boat on a trailer ......way the hell up there.....

this way you have the versatility of movement, something any built in stuff can't do....

BTW....I had a garage like that up north...but flipped the other way....same entrance door on the end, but 3 bays across the whole back yard on the 'side'....and lemme tell you , I serious miss that garage, what a thing of beauty it was.....it only had a 8' ceiling due to codes, but I was lucky to find the house, but when time to sell, it killed the resale as every damn bitch woman who saw that backyard....had a cow over it....'where is the GRASS?".....

I started getting hostile over it, and said, It's gone, ain't it great??
NOW you don't need to MOW it, you don't have to worry over tracking in DIRT....damn enviro hippies....

:stirpot::sos::suicide:

My honest opinion is to do what I did, go to a tool rental joint and see if they will sell you a engine hook with a 5' boom on it, mine breaks down and stacks on a cart to take almost zero room....yet I can get a 350 chebby over the transom of a 22' boat on a trailer ......way the hell up there.....

this way you have the versatility of movement, something any built in stuff can't do....

Gotta agree here. It would be big $$$'s to do that properly. Big ass lam beam spanning that to take the weight, hard to install now. 4x6 posts under the top plate beneth, with a spread fooying below. Would almost have to be planned/built in.

I personally would just seal the new floor and leave it. I can't stand paints and epoxys. The don't take sparks and spatter if you do a lot of fab work and its just one more think to worry about damaging. I feel like if it is a place to just store a car or do light work then go for it but if you are going to do heavy work it has no place there.

I personally would just seal the new floor and leave it. I can't stand paints and epoxys. The don't take sparks and spatter if you do a lot of fab work and its just one more think to worry about damaging. I feel like if it is a place to just store a car or do light work then go for it but if you are going to do heavy work it has no place there.

It just depends on the material used.
If you acid etch it, then use the $100 a gallon epoxy with 2 coats, you can do anything on it after it cures 2 weeks.
348b7f4525d87d.jpg