Header bolt torque?

Double_take

How much should I torque down my header bolts? The only number I can find is 25 ft-lbs but that is with a paper gasket, im using a percy aluminum gasket. Is there any difference?

They are stage 8 3/8-16. My standard bolt torque sheet says only 13 lbs.

:noob:

How much should I torque down my header bolts? The only number I can find is 25 ft-lbs but that is with a paper gasket, im using a percy aluminum gasket. Is there any difference?

They are stage 8 3/8-16. My standard bolt torque sheet says only 13 lbs.

:noob:

I have never torqued a header bolt, I just work from the center out tightening them equally.
redvetracr

Except they won't work on all headers, hooker sidepipe headers for instance. Not only can you not install those with the studs in place, even if you put in the studs after putting the header in place, there's no room for the big nut that comes with the studs. Have big primaries 7 std. 6 bolt header flanges? fuhgeddaboutit.

That is why the tiny 6 point hex nuts. I even had to put a cresent moon grind in the washers and then you don't put the headers down the studs all the way. I have to go back and forth threading each nut down partially.

They are a much better solution than small headed allens that I used to use

I slipped the headers on with the help of a friend last night. It went together without a hitch and was far easier than I expected. I used the stage 8 double hex bolts. Im glad I did, the allen was great for snugging everything up and then i pulled out the wrench for final tightening.

I got the headers second hand so I didnt have any bolts. I have heard +/- on the studs, ive never heard anything bad about bolts. I should note the car is a weekend cruiser and I dont intend to take the headers back off until i pull the engine.