hello, gentelmen/gals

grumpyvette

as some of you may have run across my posts on other sites Im sure theres a few of you that know me, for those that don,t IM a 60 year old retired engineer whos been building engines and racing cars for about 40 years now as a part time obsession
the LATEST pictures are a couple years old, taken on the first day we had electric as we were just stuffing things in out of the rain on day one, over 1/2 the tools a couple engines and 4 various welders were not off the truck yet

garage25.jpg

garage2.jpg

garage10.jpg

garage11.jpg

garge15.jpg

garage20.jpg

garage22.jpg

garge21.jpg

P1000311.jpg

a few more pics, its still a total mess while Im in the process of BUILDING and moving in but IM getting there slowly, I get asked this frequently

answer, Im just an old (59) now retired HOTRODDER and mechanical engineer ,whos been building cars and engines, helping my friends on a semi constant basis for well over 40 years, raced a few corvettes, PONTIAC G.T.O.s ,ROAD RUNNERS, CUDAs ,CAMAROS, Ive build or rebuild over a hundred engines, swapped suspensions, and learned on the way.

IVE learned to K.I.S.S. (KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID)
IVE learned that a FEW QUALITY parts will BEAT lots of junk
IVE learned careful clearancing and attention to details makes a HUGE DIFFERANCE
IVE learned researching and learning from other people mistakes is FAR cheaper and faster than making your own in a car build.
IVE learned to do extensive research BEFORE buying parts
IVE learned NEVER BUY PARTS that you get on (DEALS) if they dont match your goals
Ive learned that building engines for maximum AVERAGE TQ IN the RPM RANGE youll use the car beats building for maximun PEAK hp numbers
IVE learned asking lots of questions is far cheaper than makeing lots of mistakes
IVE learned that a cars performance depends a great deal on its POWER TO WEIGHT RATIO.
IVE learned that to have fun,your combo must be BOTH dependable and faster than MOST but not ALL the competition (most guys will never afford the expence in being the fastest car in your area)
IVE learned a CAR that breaks down is a TOTAL P.I.T.A. and RELIEABILITY is VERY IMPORTANT!

and like many of you IM broke most of the time, because of this hobby,but always glad to help out

Welcome Grumpy. I am tickled to death you have joined us. Kowledge is power, and you have alot to offer.

:yahoo::yahoo:HE's HERE!!!

Glad you came over, you know that suggestion last winter of sticking that Techron in my tank for a couple tanks of gas??? smoothed that engine right out.....runs like a charm, gets 22.2222222 mpg at 90 mph cruise, and 23-24 for the trip's average last week...not so bad,

need pick your brain for some ideas I been thinking about....

:D

BTW
P1000311.jpg

these are the two compressors I have in the shop, they both feed a series of pipe and connectors in the shop, one simply will not keep up with a couple guys working at the same time but the twin combo does just fine, they are home depot 60 gallon compressors that sell for about $400 each on sale
the first was marked 7hp the next one (WHICH IS OTHERWISE ALMOST IDENTICAL) with the same identical motor and amp rating is marked 3.5hp, theres zero differance and they both work fine.
notice I mounted them to the floor with (3)7" red head anchors thru twin layers of 3/4" marine plywood and sandwhitched rubber mat to reduce vibration and noise
most tools , like air ratchets work ok with a single compressor but die grinders used for porting heads and air grinders use more airflow
having 120 gallon researve and twin compressors makes the air pressure remain much more stable

for those with a sharp eye, yeah, its 660 PSI rated PVC,YEAH! I know all about PVC should not be used....IVE been useing it for a couple years and several freinds have been using it for over 8 years now, you just should avoid anything less than SCHEDUAL 80 or BETTER YET SCHEDUAL 120 PVC PIPE or LARGER than 1/2" inside dia. as the PRESSURE rating drops off fast and schedual 40 is a JOKE, locations where it can be hit or areas where the PVC might get hot, must be avoided as that also lowers the effective strength, MINES clamped to the walls and roof trusses and if it blows theres very little chance anything will get effected, besides I have safety ball valves on the compressor feeds that I turn shut when the airs not in use. IF it ever fails Ill replace it with steel pipe.

Last edited:
Welcome aboard. Nice garage. I had to chose between a pool or a garage. Guess which one got built?
vbgarage.php

They look like belt driven compressors, hope so, that way you retain hearing.....

a buddy has a oil less comp looks pretty close those, and I HATE that damn thing, but he being a welder is used to job site noise....so am I, but that is just tooooooooo much.....:gurney::gurney:

:trumpet:

A vette shop up north had a wood wall built around the comps, with a vent and fan for circulation, that enclosure was lined with foam to kill the freeking NOISE.....

I put my compressor in the small utility shed beside the garage....I" ain't listening to the SOB on top of the rest of it.....deaf enuff already.....

Last edited:
mounted like they are they are reasonable as far as noise levels go,while you hear them run its no worse than most shops Ive worked in and much, much! better than most

mounted like they are they are reasonable as far as noise levels go,while you hear them run its no worse than most shops Ive worked in and much, much! better than most

Good to hear, Wish I had built a garage like that or even what I had years ago up north which was about 1/2 what you got, I"d love to have even a large 2 car garage, but I can get two VW bugs in mine, maybe, on a close day being skinny....

:sos: