Temperatures - oil cooler ?

MYBAD79

Water temp at cyl head: 180-190

Water temp at thermostat: 205-210

Oil temp (measured above oil filter): 220-230

Should I consider an oil cooler ??

Oil temps generally run 20* above coolant temps.
180 to 212* is ideal oil temp
Above 230* is when the oil starts to oxidize
260* results in rapid loss of lubrication
320*, the oil lasts 2 hours max.
The lower the oil temp, the lower the bearing temp.

Although I believe your safe, the lower the better, but a 180* minimum to boil off water/fuel/etc.

Hmmm.... it seems that up to 250F (120C) the oil should be fine. I'll wait and see how high the temp gets, so far I have not managed to get it to 250F even though I tried - I did not shift in 5th gear and let the engine run at 2800rpm for a while, it appears my cooling system is ok :D

Isn't synthetic's main claim to fame that it is good for a additional 40-50 deg? Might be easier to change oil than add a cooler, if you do in fact need it.

I have only 650 miles on the engine, too early to go synthetic IMO..... I just switched to synthetic blend and will switch to fully synthetic at 1000 or 1200 miles.
I'll keep an eye on the temperatures but I'm pretty sure it's all good...:thumbs:

Isn't synthetic's main claim to fame that it is good for a additional 40-50 deg? Might be easier to change oil than add a cooler, if you do in fact need it.

Been using dino oil for MANY years. Never saw a need to run synthetic. Never lost an engine due to oil related problem. I am VERY HARD on an engine.:huh2:

Hey, what part of the "OC" are you at???

Been using dino oil for MANY years. Never saw a need to run synthetic. Never lost an engine due to oil related problem. I am VERY HARD on an engine.:huh2:

Hey, what part of the "OC" are you at???

I agree, that's why I threw in "if you do in fact need it". But, in extreem conditions, oil temps over 260 deg., I would go to synthetic. Suposedly, the new Vetts use synthetic mostly because they run so hot (normal oil temps @ 235-245).
I'm in Los Alamitos. The wife and I met you and Linda at Bird fest I. Ruby color '69 vert with a white top. Hope to see you Sat!
Glenn K