82 Wheel backspacing

Dirtbuster1

Does anyone know the correct backspacing on the 82 wheel. I have been told it's 3.75 all the way to 4.75 backspacing? Thinking of buying some new wheels, but I don't want the wrong ones.

TT,

Could me make info such as this a sticky! I think it would help for all year models.

I think it was 4" BS, 0 offset. Anything from 3,5 to 4" will probably work.

Indeed, 4" backspacing. However, the offset would be -1/2", which you'll never find. Offsets of -11, -12 or -13mm will work fine.

Took my wheel off to measure. The backspacing was 4". I also measured the front side. It was 4" also. Where does the 1/4" for the middle part get counted. 4 + 4 + 1/4 = 8 1/4". Does that make since? :bonkers: The wheel was stamped 15 x 8.

Theory has it that an 8" wheel is actually 9" wide. The 8" measurement is taken on the inside of the wheel where the tire bead sits. The wider 9" measurement would be the actual width of the wheel on the outside lip or flange. I've never seen a 1/2" wide "lip", but that's the theory. :quote:

This is probably where you're getting your extra 1/4". The same theory applies to wheels diameter, with a 15" wheel actually measuring 16" on the outside. :bonkers:

tech-wheelterms.gif

When you said you took the wheel off, I'm assuming that you're doing this with the tire still on. That's gotta make measuring difficult.

I measured mine from the bead area with a straight edge. Will 17 x 8 with 4.5 backspacing be a problem?

17X8" can be a perfect fit. If you run 255/50/17 tires, the circumference if nearly identical to 255/60/15s or 225/70/15s, so you shouldn't throw off the speedometer. Are you going with the 4.5" offset beacause that's the only size offered in the wheel that you're looking at? That's not a huge difference, just a half inch, but some people have issues with their STOCK wheels rubbing up front when locking side to side. From that respect, it's almost a case by case matter. You could always cut some of your inner fender well to make clearance. You shouldn't really run into a trailing arm issue in the back, as I've seen much more offset. You may or may not have to relocate the e-brake bracket, but I THINK that you'll be good. :thumbs:

I measured mine from the bead area with a straight edge. Will 17 x 8 with 4.5 backspacing be a problem?

4.5" backspacing is 1/2" more "in-board" than stock, which is 4". You could use 1/2" spacers, but usually there's not enough lug length to do that.

Another alternative would be 1/4" spacers. That splits the difference and may be just enough to clear your suspension.

Ideally, an 8" wheel with 4" backspace would be best. But most classic chevy wheels have 4.5".

[Ramble, ramble, ramble]:D:D:D