Making your own PVA?

enkeivette

I can't find any local shops that sell PVA (mold release). Isn't it just wax melted in alcohol? Can I make this myself? If so, what sort of wax and what sort of alcohol? :beer:

Or was it styrofaom in alcohol?

Last edited:
With all the Jacuzzi manufacturers in "The OC", somebdy has this stuff.

I know I can order it online, I was looking for a local store that has it. I've called probably 20 stores now, no luck.

Figured it out!

Dissolve wax in paint thinner for 24 hours (If you have wax beads it saves a lot of time). Mix it up, pour it on the wood/ mold. The paint thinner dries in 5 mins and the surface is left with a perfect coat of wax on it. Voila, do it yourself PVA. :1st:

Figured it out!

Dissolve wax in paint thinner for 24 hours (If you have wax beads it saves a lot of time). Mix it up, pour it on the wood/ mold. The paint thinner dries in 5 mins and the surface is left with a perfect coat of wax on it. Voila, do it yourself PVA. :1st:

Very good. Good to know. Thanks/.

Laugh all you want but I've used PAM anti stick spray and it works just fine.... available ANYWHERE in the US/Canada ... :lol:

Laugh all you want but I've used PAM anti stick spray and it works just fine.... available ANYWHERE in the US/Canada ... :lol:

That's awesome. I might do a coat of that after I brush the wax on, couldn't hurt.

Whenever I make my fiberglass/carbon parts I just use regular car wax for my mold release. Meguiars Gold Class works fantastic.