Polyester Primer vs. Epoxy Primer

enkeivette

So far, every glass expert that I've talked to has suggested that I go with an epoxy primer. The guy in my local paint store suggests that I go with polyester primer. What's the verdict?

I used a PPG (shopline) urethane primer on my SMC body, I sprayed the primer on SMC that was sanded 80 grit for mechanical "grip" - no issues here :1st:

If I had to do it again I'd use PPG DP epoxy primer, that stuff seems to stick to almost anything. The problem with epoxy is that you only have a few days window to topcoat it. If you wait too long you have to sand it and spray another coat epoxy.

For a sheetmetal body I'd definitely use epoxy for the first coat over bare metal.

I also used the epoxy primer/sealer from tcpglobal (Kustomshop), gallon incl activator for $100, half the price of PPG and seems to be pretty good also....

depends on what you are spraying it on. Epoxy would be my choice.

The entire body is glass and I'll be using polyester resin filler, other than the headlights and gas lid. It's sanded to 80 grit right now but I was planning on going over it with a higher grit when all the body work was done.