General Ques about Paint Water Based/ Oil/ Acrylic/ Brands

enkeivette

Well first of all they don't make oil based paints anymore?!?! Or even acrylic paint?! Does anyone know of any paint supply stores in Mexico where I might be able to score some oil based paint? I'm wiling to make the drive, I remember the flakey water based paint jobs from the early 90s, I don't want any part of that.

Brands! The Du Pont color that I want is $330 a gallon, and Du Ponts no name brand (Nason) is only $150 a gallon. (Including the reducer) My friend (who will be spraying my car) says that there is no difference between different paints, different brands, is this true? If so, is there a $180 difference?

It depends... for example PPG base coat is $350 a gallon, PPG "shopline" is $130....the PPG base coat covers better, more important if you spray over light color base (white/grey primer). If you spray black over existing black paint (cheap repair, just 600 grit and no primer) the cheap stuff is sufficient... If you choose Nason/shopline you might need more than just one gallon .. I sprayed almost 1 1/2 gallons basecoat but I had a lot of waste because I did not spray all the parts at one time.... difficult to compare.... if you choose a dark base have them tint the primer so you need less base to get good coverage. The Nason paint will be fine. I might try the "good stuff" one day but it's only because I'm curious and want to see if the difference is really that big....

Laquer is gone because it's not environmentally friendly :amused:

the modern urethane base/clear paints are really good, even I was able to get a decent result (and I never owned a paint gun in my life).

Why are you looking for oil based specifically?

Take a look at Autoair. Its a show quality water based urethane and is a lot cheaper than PPG. When dry it is identical to any other urethane paint so no flaking unless the prep work was garbage. Read through my at home paint project thread for a price breakdown.

It is my understanding and my painters opinion that oil based paints are better than water based paints. In that they coat better and stick better.

It is my understanding and my painters opinion that oil based paints are better than water based paints. In that they coat better and stick better.

Are planning to paint your CAR?
Or are your planning to paint a PICTURE of your car?

:D

It's time to do some serious homework..........

http://www.autobody101.com/forums/
http://spi.forumup.org/index.php?mforum=spi

Check these two sites out....
Read...Read...Read.....

Your going to have a lot of questions and just about every one of
them has probably already been answered on one of these 2 sites.

SMYDA, thanks for the links. I'll start reading now. I'm guessing from your response it was a stupid question. So what is your personal favorite type of paint/ brand?

NO.....I did not see it as a stupid question. :drink:

But I am a little curious as to why your painter prefers oil base paints
for automotive use..................... I'm assuming your in the U.S.
I'm no historian when it comes to paint, (so I could be wrong), but I'm
thinking oil base paint is what Henry Ford used on the Model Ts....and
they painted those cars with a brush. It took several days for the paint
to dry and in the mean time the paint would flow out barely leaving any
brush marks. Of course you could have any color you wanted.....as long
as it was Black. :)

I'm not aware of anyone using oil base today.

I'm partial to PPG.......but that's not to say that other brands don't make
a good product. I just have more familiarity with PPG. If I'm doing something
I want to be really nice and last, I'll stick with the higher end lines like
Global, etc.for my base. When spraying in my garage where I'll have to
let one air dry....I've had real good results with PPG 2021 clear.
It is designed for non-paint booth environments.

I gave you a link to a brand I have heard a lot of good things about and have
not found anyone that had anything negative to say. SPI ..... I plan to try
this product as soon as I get some projects to that point. I called the company
and requested a Tech Manual and received it with in 3 days.:thumbs:
The Tech Info is also on their web site.
You could not ask for better tech support (for the do-it-yourself er) than their own forum.

House of Kolors! Absolute best! Although, the most expensive. I use HOK on all of my airbrush stuff.

When I go to paint, and match an existing color, may have to use one brand over another. i.e. to match my '82 Gold, had to use Dupont. $400 a gallon. Nason has less pigment so another coat, but could not match the gold with a factory formula. I like the Nason clear, goes a long way and covers extremely well, not so expensive.

Alot has to also do with what your local shop sells, talk to them too. Cheap is not always the best way after I have spent 300 plus hours preping a car to paint, ain't gonna shoot no cheap paint.

The links above are great places to go. Another resource is to go to DuPont website, find their application instructions for all the products, read.

By far, the biggest no no is: DO NOT use one brand sealer, another brand base, and another brand clear, keep it in the same family.

One last thing; SataJet Guns, unbelievable how well these things spray.

tt