Wiper Door Issues

AK454

I need some assistance with my wiper door on my 71.This not a big issue, because I usually don't drive in the rain. But here in Alaska the weather can go from summer to winter to summer again in about 15 minutes. As my buddy said "Who needs wipers when you are going 100?" which too a degree is true. I still would like to fix the problem regardless.

The door currently will not open to let the wipers run. If I understand correctly the default position is open, so this should mean that I have sufficient vacuum to operate the door. When I move the wiper switch to "on" position you can hear the click from the solenoid. The wipers will work if I manually raise the door. There does not appear to be any hoses that are cracked or have popped off from their proper positions. All of the hoses at the override control below the steering wheel all look to be properly connected. Is the problem most likely in the vacuum switch that is mounted on the rear of the right fender? Or is there something else to check first. Thanks in advance for any tips you guys can come up.

If you are referring to the vacuum switch that the wiper sits on in the rest position, that could be your problem. When the wiper arm goes down, the plunger activates this vacuum switch and it allows the wiper door to close. Perhaps the plunger(not sure if this is the correct word for this) is stuck in the closed position now allowing the door to open?

Here's the part http://www.zip-products.com/Zip/pro...alse&mscssid=2733407653494C69A3A3E9134CE19290

Barryk has a diagram on his web site if you need to see all the hose routing.

http://lbfun.com/Corvette/Tech/vettetech.html

Smokin,
Thanks for the head up on the link, that will be a useful site in the future. I will check the plunger.

i have a slightly different problem.

when i turn on the engine the wiper door opens and then closes. this happens only when i turn on the engine!

what could be the problem?

door and wipers work normally when switched on and off.
:cool:

Last edited: